Chapter 3

When both the young and the older Night Fury got back to the group, the sun was beginning to set, and the riders began to come back outside to the dragons. Hiccup looked over to (Y/n) and Toothless, to see the little Night Fury begin to grow tired. All the riders got on their dragons, and began to take off to their homes for the night. Hiccup gently picked up the baby, then got onto Toothless's saddle, and took off back to the house.

An hour after the sun set, and the dragons and humans have eaten, Hiccup was getting a small area for little (Y/n) to sleep for the night. A simple nest that (s)he could use. "Alright (Y/n), what do you think?" Hiccup asked as (s)he crawled into the nest. (Y/n) padded in a circle and curled into a ball, purring at the softness of the bedding that touched his/her scaly skin. Toothless watched as the little dragon rolled in his/her new nest, and purred when (s)he felt to soft furs that was placed in the nest to make it softer for him/her and keep him/her warm. He tried to think of a reason why he felt the connection between him and the little hatchling. Perhaps it was that they where both living in the same house now?

"Alright then. We got you settled in, right next to me and Toothless so that you have company during the night." Hiccup smiled to the baby as (s)he looked up to him and nuzzled the fur again. Toothless looked back at his rider and best friend as he took off the armor plating he had on, then laid down in his bed. Hiccup blew out the candle on the night stand, then as soon as his head hit the pillow that was below his head, he fell asleep.

Toothless stood up and created scorch marks right below him as he curled on his rock slab for his bed, and (Y/n) watched him make the marks, eyes wide in fascination about what the older dragon had done. As Toothless laid down on the hot coals, (Y/n) slowly, and quietly as (s)he could, crawled over to the bed of the older dragon.

(S)he sniffed the rock silently, and pawed at it a little, then decided to curl with the older dragon. (S)he moved around to where (s)he could see his legs and his front, then moved himself/herself into the small open area of warm coals that was right next to the older dragon's belly. Toothless opened his eyes when he felt movement next to him, and looked to see (Y/n) curled up next to him, in a way that a mother dragon would her baby.

If dragons could blush, his face would be a light shade of pink seeing the baby so close to him, like (s)he pictured Toothless as his/her father and caregiver. The dragon slowly, and carefully, wrapped his tail around the newborn, and laid his head down closer to him/her. He smiled when the baby put his/her head on his tail in his/her sleep, and purred. He purred as well, and gave a small lick on the top of his/her head, before falling asleep himself.

The next morning, Toothless awoke to see the little dragon still curled up next to him, and smiling in his/her sleep. He purred himself, then nudged the little dragon awake. (Y/n) yawned and looked up to Toothless who was standing up himself now. (Y/n) did the same thing, then both dragons walked downstairs where Valka was cooking breakfast for herself. "Good morning to ya both." She smiled as the baby began wondering what she was boiling in the caldron by trying to sniff it. "Now don't stand to close to that fire lad/lass, you might be a dragon, but even a dragon can get burnt." She warned as Toothless lifted the baby up by his/her scruff then put him/her on his back.

"Well now Toothless, seems you're taking an interest in our little hatchling aren't ya?" She chuckled. Toothless rolled his eyes and (Y/n) made a giggling noise. Valka walked over to the woven basket full of fresh fish that was caught by the fishermen that morning, and took a few of them to lay out for the dragons. Toothless started eating his fish, and (Y/n) grabbed a couple of fish for her to eat. The little dragon ate at least five of the fish to fill his/her belly, and Toothless ate twice that many, maybe more.

The large dragon Cloudjumper ate a few fish for himself as well, and even flicked his tail back and forth for the baby to play with when (s)he was done eating. Hiccup walked downstairs and smiled when he saw the three dragons. "(Y/n) is almost a week old, now would be a good time to start flying lessons for her." Valka said as the baby walked up to both of them.

"I agree. We'll start with the basics when we get to the arena today. And Toothless will be there to help him/her." Hiccup smiled as the baby started to get excited and jump around the room.

Later that day, at the arena, Toothless and Hiccup were doing their best to get the little dragon off the ground. But the more (s)he tried the more she seemed to fail at his/her task of flying. (Y/n) tried one more time to fly, flapping his/her wings, and jumping again and again, but failed at his/her task and landed on his/her side.

Toothless and Hiccup walked over to him/her as (s)he got back to his/her paws. "Maybe we should stop for a little." He said and (Y/n) bent his/her ears down in disappointment at his/her failure to take off. Toothless noticed his/her discouragement and tried to think of something that would cheer him/her up. "Let me take a look at the little dragon." A man with a thick Scottish accent said as he approached the three. "Hi Gobber." Hiccup greeted as he stood up. The little dragon looked up at the new person to take in his features. A long mustache that looked like rope on his lips, a hook for a left hand, and a peg for his right leg. (Y/n) was nervous around this new character; but Toothless looked at him/her as if saying: "he won't hurt you. He's a friend." (Y/n) nodded and the man walked up to her, placing his right hand on his/her head to pet him/her, before taking some time to look at the places where (s)he landed. "Welp, (s)he looks ok. Just a little bit of rest and some more practice with controlling his/her tail to balance himself/herself out, (s)he'll be flyin in no time." He said with a smile on his face.

"Thanks for taking the time to look at him/her Gobber." Hiccup said as he picked up the small dragon. "Not a problem Hiccup. Always happy to help out here at the academy." Gobber said waving his hands around the caged area, as (Y/n) wondered what it was used for in the past. Toothless looked at the curious dragon in Hiccup's arms, and wondered what (s)he could have been thinking of while (s)he looked around. "Alright. I'm off to go check on some more dragons at the shop. You should bring (Y/n) sometime so that (s)he can see everything." Gobber suggested as he was walking out of the entrance. "Will do, Gobber!" Hiccup shouted to his friend and waved to him. (Y/n) waved a little too at Gobber as he left.

That night, when everyone in the house was asleep, little (Y/n) was awake outside, trying to take off again and again. Toothless awoke up from his slumber, and noticed that the little nest was empty. And the baby was not under his wing or curled next to him. He wondered what could have happened to him/her, when he heard the small cries from the baby outside. Getting to his feet, the older Night Fury stood on his hind legs to look out the window, and see the young dragon trying to take off again.

A feeling of pity and sadness was in the heart of the older dragon, so he jumped out the window, and glided down to the baby dragon. And for the most of the night, he helped him/her to flap his/her wings properly, and move his/her tail fins in a way to take off. When (s)he was seeming to get the hang of flying, (s)he would fall, but Toothless was right under him/her to catch him/her. (Y/n) was about to take off again, when (s)he got a clear view of Toothless's tail. He noticed this, and curled his tail away from him/her so that (s)he wouldn't see it. (Y/n) looked up to Toothless with a look that said, "I'm so sorry..." Shining in his/her (E/c) eyes. Toothless licked the little dragon's head as to say, "do not worry about it." Both dragons purred, and (Y/n) let out a yawn. Toothless saw this, and picked the little dragon up, placed him/her on his back, and was careful of not to move to much as he walked back inside to lay him/her down in his/her nest, and to lay down on his rock. Walking up the stairs, Toothless placed (Y/n) down gently in his/her nest, as he moved to his rock to burn new coals under him to sleep. He looked at the sleeping baby in the nest next to him, and smiled as his eyes closed for the night.