Chapter 7 - Friendly Invitation

As agreed upon yesterday, you and Ren were simply relaxing on the rooftop after finishing your lunches and studying for the history test next week. There was time left before the next class started, so you both sat back and stared at the darkening skies, waiting for the rain to fall. Whenever the weather was rough, you would sit in the corner under the shade where your cot was, but Ren insisted on sitting smack dab in the middle of the rooftop, right under the open skies.

You spared a quick glance to your companion. He wore a carefree smile on his face, his long legs sprawled out on the ground. From the way he was expectantly watching the clouds, you figured he wanted to get caught in the rain again. As for why...well, that would remain a mystery to you.

Thankfully, you were always prepared. You had grabbed your compact umbrella from beneath your cot and sat under it the whole time just to be safe. Ren said he despised umbrellas, but he tolerated yours because it was missing the sharp part on the end tip. The ferrule—that's what Ren told you the "scary pointy thing" was called. It was such an obscure fact, such a strange thing to know, and yet you weren't even surprised that Ren knew about it.

Despite his popularity, Ren was a bit of an oddball. When strangers caught a glimpse of him, they'd stop and stare because he looked cool...but once he started talking, the illusion quickly faded away, revealing the cheerful albeit unusual boy underneath it all. While the younger students in school idolized him, everyone in your grade was a little wiser due to being familiar with his strange habits. It wasn't an off-putting trait at all, though. Besides, how could you of all people think Ren was weird after you stole his hair earlier this week?

You sighed, already starting to regret that decision. Maybe Matilda was right; with how good things were going with Ren, maybe you didn't need the potion at all.

Taking your sigh as you feeling bored, Ren decided to break the comfortable silence. "So, what are your plans for the weekend?" he asked. He wondered what you did for fun other than kickboxing and playing video games, which, quite frankly, wasn't much different than what he did in his free time.

"Not much. Just studying and hanging out with a friend."

"Oh, so you do have friends?" he asked curiously, and then he visibly cringed at how terrible that sounded coming out. He quickly stumbled out an apology. To his relief, you simply chuckled good naturedly.

"Well, not here anyway. Kiko goes to a different school," you replied. You appeared unbothered by his question, but deep inside, you were incredibly embarrassed that even Ren was wondering why you had no friends.

"That name..." he trailed off, an uneasy expression making its way onto his face, "it sounds familiar."

You stared at him quizzically. After all the grief she caused him, how could he not remember her? "She went to middle school with us. I'm surprised you forgot her; she kicked a soccer ball at your head during gym class," you said, though you regretted it when Ren's entire body stiffened up as if he was reliving a traumatic moment.

Ren's lips pressed into a thin line. Ah, now he remembered. She was that spunky, blue-haired shorty with the dorky looking twin-tails. Ren had long since blocked out the memory of the intimidating girl who was glued to your side back then.

To this day, Ren thought it was an accident, and initially you did as well until Kiko confessed to you that she purposely launched the ball at the innocent boy's head just so you would have a reason to talk to him. She tried to be a good wingman, but after she nearly murdered Ren in the process, she was forced to retire from the position early. However, her dumb plan had worked to some degree. Even though it was one single sentence asking if he was alright (which he wasn't), that was the first time you ever spoke to Ren.