Chapter 2 - Sticking Close

Not that anyone should be surprised, but you were about to do something quite questionable.

You took a deep breath to steel your nerves as you waited for the train to arrive. This was it; you were going to steal Ren's hair today. In just a few minutes, you were going to proceed with phase one of your horrific plan. This was hands down one of the meanest, worst things you'd ever do, but it was for the sake of love!

You anxiously watched Ren from nearby and apologized profusely in your mind.

'Oh God, I'm awful, I'm mean, I'm sick. Please forgive me, Ren!'

Lucky for you, you and Ren lived just a few blocks from each other, so you often got to admire him from a distance during the train ride to school. But this time, you needed to get up close and personal because part one of your plan was to plant some gum in his hood.

...No one ever said this was a good plan.

It was raining today, and you predicted that once Ren exits the train, he'd put up his hood. He always did this when the weather was rough because umbrellas apparently weren't his thing. Throughout the years, you'd lost count of how many times he got chewed out by teachers for coming to school soaked to the bone. The boy loved walking in the rain but not as much as he loved wearing that fancy new, black rain jacket of his...which was unfortunate seeing how the hood might not survive your gum attack.

Soon, your train arrived and you started inching closer to where he was. 'It's time!' You screeched internally, your eyes never leaving him as you sidled up behind him. Once the doors opened, everyone was rushing into the train as usual, meaning it was quickly getting packed inside. It was normal to have bodies pressed uncomfortably against each other, so Ren didn't think twice when you were pushed against his back. Thankfully, his eyes were glued to his phone, so he didn't notice you behind him.

You were so close to him that the fur of his hood was tickling your nose. Was it creepy that you just inhaled his scent?

'Man, he smells absolutely lovely. I wonder what kind of soap he u—ahh, stop it, you weirdo!'

Your fingers twitched in anticipation as your eyes locked onto the inside of his hood. You needed to be exceedingly careful because Ren had terrifyingly sharp reflexes. Seriously, you could kiss your hand goodbye if he so much as sensed it near the back of his neck.

After making sure no one was staring at you, you took a chewed (and thoroughly washed!) piece of bubblegum from your pocket and discreetly stuck it to the fur of his hood before weaseling your way through the crowd to get far, far away from him. Your heart was pounding violently as you fidgeted nervously in your new spot.

Anxiety was causing wildly inaccurate thoughts to race through your mind. What if Ren somehow knew what you did? First, he'd hate you, then take you to court to sue you, and then he'd get a restraining order on you, and of course you'd go to prison, and—!

'Relax, damn it. I'm not going to prison for putting gum in his hair...probably.' You assured yourself. You exhaled harshly and reminded yourself that everything was going according to plan; it was fine.

Needing to distract yourself, you decided to prepare your lines for the next part of the plan. Phase two of your glorious plan was acting, and you were going to save Ren from your own act of evil. Essentially, you were going to get the gum out of his hair, which was perfect seeing how you were the one who put it there in the first place.

When you got off the train a short while later, you made sure to keep your eye on Ren. Ah, there it was—his hood just flopped over his head! You giddily chuckled under your umbrella, causing passersby to stare at you oddly. 'Ahh, focus!' You had to time this correctly and stay close, but not too close as you tailed him on your way to school. You also needed to reach him before his friends did at the school gates and a few minutes later, that's exactly what you did.

Okay, this was really happening—you were about to talk to him!

"Hey, excuse me! Yeah, you!" you shouted, jogging up to the boy after he stopped and faced you. He greeted you with a confused smile and you fought down a blush as you readjusted your skirt. He was so unbearably pretty that you almost forgot your lines.

"Can I help you?" he asked politely, seemingly wary of your presence. You guessed it was because girls often bombarded him on his way to school to ask for dates, so maybe he thought this was just another instance of that.

...Either that, or he internally sensed that you were a creep.

"Umm, I'm sorry, this is kinda' weird, but I think there's something inside your hood."

He blinked, tugging once at the faux fur lining the black hood. "My hood?"

You gulped. "Y-yeah...um, I noticed when I was walking behind you that there was something pink in it," you boldly reached past his face to move his hood slightly to inspect it. Yup, there it was: the gum you planted now stuck to his hair. "Oh man, that's what I was afraid of. It's gum."

The boy actually screeched, grabbing a few startled stares from students walking by, and you had to grab his arm to stop him from getting the gum even more tangled in his hair.

His eyes were wide as he stared at you in panic. "Gahhh! What do I do?! My hair! My precious rain jacket!!"

Wow, you actually felt like a monster after seeing his horrified expression, but you reminded yourself that this was all necessary...for you, at least.

"Hey, don't move so much, you'll get it everywhere in your hair," you scolded as you released his arm and held your umbrella over the two of you. "Look, I think I can help you get it out before class starts without cutting it with scissors, but you're gonna have to follow me, okay?" you calmly told him.

He nodded—thankfully, not the least bit suspicious of you—and asked you to lead the way, which you did with a concealed smirk on your face.

Phase two complete.

--------------------

[A/n]: ...If someone put gum in your hair, you'd probably kill them, wouldn't you? You better hope he doesn't find out it was you lol

Anyway, the next chapter is done and will be up when I finish editing~ Out of curiosity, do yall prefer short or long chapters?

(Also, bonus points for anyone who can figure out why Ren is scared of umbrellas! Hint: it has to do with an anime he watched...)