Chapter 13 - An Origin(al) Story

If anyone asked you what your favorite part of the day was, it would not be the part where you had lunch with your new friends. Of course, hanging with all of them was enjoyable, but nothing could top the walks to the train station where you had Ren all to yourself. This became the one thing you loved most in your regular routine—so much so that you were eager to wake up for school these days. That being said, not every moment with Ren was as picture perfect as it was in your daydreams. For example, today you couldn't help but be slightly irked as you glanced at the boy from the corner of your eye.

Ren sneezed loudly into his arm, causing the stranger who was passing him to wince before walking faster. He sniffled before he shoved his cold hands into his pockets, and you gave his appearance a once-over yet again, ready to berate him for not wearing a heavier jacket. It was snowing today and here he was wearing that thin, black rain-jacket of his.

"Ren," you uttered out his name in a way that let him know he was about to get scolded, "what compelled you to forgo a coat today?"

"I might've forgotten it at the dojo yesterday..." Ren ducked his head further into his fur-lined hood, slightly hiding himself from you. He found you intimidating when you were serious because it was such a stark contrast from your usual laid-back self.

"It was freezing yesterday! How'd you manage to leave without it?" you asked, wearing a worried frown.

"Ahh, I was rushing to leave when practice was over. You haven't seen my sensei—he's terrifying when he's mad. Sadly, he's also my manager, and he wasn't happy that I gained three pounds." Ren sighed with a depressed look, already knowing he needed to eat less this week. "I don't know why he's so upset about it when I don't have any matches coming up for two months. It's not fair! Why can't I eat cake in the meantime, (Name)? Don't I deserve it?" he asked, desperately staring at you with a pitiful expression as if you had all the answers.

"Ren, you deserve all the cake in the world, but if you go in sick next practice, your sensei will be even madder," you said.

He waved off your concern. "It's fine—I never get sick! Besides, it's not even that cold today."

"Hah, you only say that because you get to wear pants," you commented dryly. "You're lucky you aren't forced to wear these skirts." You tugged your skirt down your thighs a little more. The windchill was getting so intolerable that you just wanted to shove the ends of your skirt into your black thigh-highs to create makeshift pants.

"It's that bad, huh? No worries, I'm told that I'm super warm all the time, so you can sit on me in the train if you want—I don't mind," he offered kindly, having nothing but innocent intentions.

You gulped, silencing the voice in your head that was screaming at you to accept Ren's offer. "Thank you, but I'll be fine since the train isn't as cold inside. It's you I'm worried about right now," you assured him. You flinched and leaned away quickly when he sneezed again. He was definitely going to get sick at this rate, so you unraveled your black and red checkered scarf from yourself and swung it around Ren's neck before he could protest. He was about to say something but the look you sent him silenced him as you wrapped the scarf snugly around him. It looks nice on him, you thought, bringing his hood up over his head again.

"There. Try not to forget your things at the dojo anymore," you advised quietly before stepping away from him. The hood on his head flopped back and forth slightly as he nodded with wide eyes and a blush on his face. But after a few minutes of walking silently, you could tell from Ren's troubled glances that he was becoming unnecessarily upset over putting you out of a scarf. You changed the subject to take his mind off of it. "Hey, Ren? I've been wondering...what got you into MMA in the first place?"