five

"So, any leads yet?" Tunde asked as he stood in front of Ify.

"Not much, except that Okeh had a beef with one of his classmates but didn't tell me," Ifeoma shrugged.

"A beef?" Tunde raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "Who will want to have a beef with your brother? He's the coolest dude ever," he scoffed.

"Well, Sherlock Holmes, think of it, Okeh was the school's golden boy, loved by all," Ifeoma placed air quotes at the last phrase.

"Makes sense. He was the best player on the Juniors' Football team and he also won a lot of awards. He may have been the coolest guy ever but was he really loved by all?" Ifeoma looked at Tunde as he kept on speaking like a Shakespearian scholar.

"Uncle Shakespeare, are you done with your poetry? You should even come and join Arts class since you are so good at Literature," she rolled her eyes at him.

"Haha, so funny but let us be serious for once. Okeh may have been loved by many people but not everyone loved him. Don't you think there might have been students who were envious of your brother and might have killed him to get rid of a competition?" Tunde rubbed his chin slowly, then gave a knowing look to Ifeoma.

Monday, September 2016

Dear diary,

Happy resumption. I am happy that school has finally resumed because it is the beginning of my JSS3, and this will be my last year as a Junior student. Mr. Brown, the White man is now our football coach. According to him, they call it 'soccer' in America, who cares though? It is football, those Americans are strange, you know. Who the heck calls football soccer? He also told us that in America, they don't use the metric system and their date format is MM/DD/YYYY, unlike the British format which is in DD/MM/YYYY. Can you imagine they use Fahrenheit? Fahrenheit, for goodness sake! The whole world uses Celsius, but the United States chooses to be the 'special one' by going with Fahrenheit. God bless America, the land of the free and imperial system.

I like Mr. Brown but he talked a lot about America, playing golf with Obama (I'm not pulling this out of my head, he really said this) and his Latina girlfriend, rather than practice football with us. The class lessons were great though and I was appointed as the Junior Head Boy. I bumped into Toke today as I was about to exit the football field. It was awkward, at first, trying to talk to her but we later had a heartfelt discussion with each other before walking her to class.

David was looking at me strangely when we entered the class. He has been giving me these stares ever since I was appointed as the Junior Head Boy, why was he looking at me that way? He was also appointed as a prefect or is the post of an Assistant Prefect, not a good post? I just decided to ignore him as usual and focus on my studies and my service towards the student body.