prologue

Gerald held his crotch as he desperately ran through the hallways with one goal in his mind - to relieve himself.

He breathed heavily as his body burned calories with each time, he ran down the stairs to reach the washroom. He later sighed in relief, thanking God that the washroom was close insight.

On getting to the washroom, he opened the door slightly to be met by the shock of his life. Forgetting about his initial urge to relieve himself, he took off to the closest staffroom to alert the teachers of what he had seen.

"Mr. Ososanya," the overweight boy heaved. "Dead body...lying there...in the boys' toilet," his lungs burned as he struggled to make a few sentences before he fainted.

Mr. Ososanya, the head of the English Language department, stood up and ran to hold Gerald. He turned to Ms. Bankole, one of the Yoruba Language teachers to take the overweight boy to the sickbay before calling Mr. Brown, the expatriate A-level English language teacher, to the boys' toilet.

The two men ran towards the boys' toilet to investigate the matter. On getting there, they opened to door to be met by the sight of Okechukwu, the school golden boy, lying still with his mouth frothing and his eyes opened eerily. The two men backed away from the toilet before running to the Principal's office.

Ifeoma's mind stood at alert as the bell suddenly rang from a distance and a range of feelings ran through her

Ifeoma's mind stood at alert as the bell suddenly rang from a distance and a range of feelings ran through her. The first feeling was that of relief as Mr. Badmus' boring lecture on the systems of government were driving her to the point of insanity and the second feeling was that of suspicion as the only times the bell rang were if there was a transition from one class to another and if there was an emergency.

She looked at her Mickey Mouse watch, which her aunt had bought from Dubai, to check the time and it was 1:45. That was 25 minutes away from the intended time for the end of the seventh period. So, it had to be an emergency then.

She looked outside the window as students gathered around Silvia, the school's human gossip column.  Ifeoma stood up to catch the gist of what happened from Silvia. The cacophony of students murmuring initially prevented her from catching some words until she got closer.

"I swear this world don turn upside down o. Can you imagine a dead body inside the boys' toilet?"

"Ah," the SS2 student body exclaimed in shock.

"So, whose body is it now?" Musa, the most outstanding student in the SS2 block asked in curiosity.

"Ah, only God knows o. Me, I only heard small and I decided to tell you guys o. But I heard that the body is that of a JSS 3 student, so if you have any siblings in that class, you better pray very well or else, well..." Silvia stopped as soon as she saw Mr. Ososanya from a distance. The students parted to give way to the teacher whose face was wrecked in pain.

"Where is Ifeoma Nwaokolo?" Ifeoma raised her hands as she stepped forward. "Please come with me, your attention is needed at the office."

Her intuition suddenly became on the edge as she had a bad premonition that something tragic was looming.