19. Absences & Autumn

I would sometimes glance at Castiel sitting peacefully at his seat, his hand lightly grazing a pencil over his notebook. He used the notebook for highly detailed sketches and drawings and I couldn't help but feel intrigued at how he just seemed so lost in his own little world.

I have only ever caught a glimpse of his art but never really got the chance to see any of it in its entirety. I'm sure his drawings were very nice as his passion for it only grew much more obvious to me now, especially with what happened last night.

"Morning class!" Mr. Jules waved as he simultaneously walked into the class with Tori. They both looked extremely agitated as I threw Tori a confused expression.

My eyes didn't leave her as she sighed and sat beside me. "My bad for being late, Mr. Jules was bitching about my absences."

My brows slightly furrowed as Mr. Jules began to talk about the project in the distance. "I thought he knew you had a job?" I quietly asked while glancing at the board so I wouldn't get called out.

"It's whatever, let's just talk about it later." She waved off as she grabbed the rolled up poster I was handing to her. "When's this shit due again?"

"Next week." I quickly answered as she nodded, carefully sliding it into her bag and then shifting her body to become more comfortable at her seat. "You don't have to present if you don't want to though."

"Good, because if we had to I'm sure you and Castiel won't even say shit." She teased but slightly meant it.

We quietly laughed together and brought our attention to Mr. Jules. "So now that we've gone over hues, gradients and the effects of color to cognitive performance, I expect everybody in class to have their project ready by next week! No pressure but it is worth a lot of points. It's important to have the right research down. For those presenting, it's also important to practice so you feel comfortable getting up here." Mr. Jules paced to each side of the room, carefully glancing at everyone who has his full attention. "Does anybody here have a question?"

A sharp exhale left my mouth as Castiel's toned arm was the only one to shoot up. "My question is about the project, If I feel as though I can be independent, may I leave my current group?"

My eyes inexplicably widened at Tori as her face rapidly turned sour at him.

Did he really just leave our group? But why?

Mr. Jules blinked as he seemed slightly caught off guard by Castiel's soul searing gaze and icy cold tone. "Y-yea sure Castiel. Go ahead." He nodded.

I slowly glanced down as my brain quickly ran through a legion of bad thoughts. Is he doing this because he might have a clue about me being Desiree? Did Luka tell him something? Have I lost my job!?

Tori's hand attempted to comfort me, bringing it over mine and brushing it with a finger. "Are you okay Shiloh?" She whispered.

My body was tense as I answered. "Y-yea, why wouldn't I be?" I assured, trying to come off as genuine as possible.

Hours pass and I decided to approach Elio after school as his class was surprisingly down the hall across from mine. I had just gotten out of english as he had just gotten out of pre-calculus so I figured right now was the perfect time to offer him a tour.

I went ahead and gathered up all my nerves to greet him. "Hey." I waved, trying not to come off as awkward as possible.

His light brown eyes immediately shimmered at the sight of me. "Oh hey! You've finally decided to come to school." He smirked.

My hand awkwardly rubbed the back of my head with a nervous sigh. "Yea I saw all the homework and assignments I missed and I kinda regret it."

"Oh I could imagine." Elio lightly chuckled as we began to walk out into the campus.