43. Rage & Rampages

"You have like the most perfect lid for makeup, I'm so jealous." Alexis smiled with a garnered focus on the light makeup she was putting on my eyes.

"Really?" I dryly chuckled as I stared at myself on the mirror with a squint. "I've never worn makeup before."

"I used to know nothing about it until I joined cheerleading." She gently points my chin upwards as she moved on towards a palette of glitter and a sheet of face crystals. "I couldn't care less about any of the products-thought they were all the same and now here I am completely obsessed."

"How long have you been a cheerleader?"

She does an imitated explosion noise with her mouth. "Oh god, ever since middle school, I think." Alexis continues with a sigh. "My mom and aunt was one and it was always my dream to be in one of the uniforms. People thought I was stupid but whatever."

"I don't know how you do it." I nervously gulped.

"Do what?" She asks as I carefully watched her begin complimenting my thick full brows and large brown eyes with plush iridescent powder.

"To be so confident with who you are all the time."

She dryly scoffed. "Me? I'm like one of the most insecure people in the world."

"What?" I stared at her in disbelief. "No!"

"Yes!" She insisted with a nod before continuing to do my makeup. "Everything I do and say is curated just for me to feel accepted and validated through people and opportunities I can benefit off of and for what? To distract myself from the fact that I'm probably just gonna die and no longer matter one day?"

I kept my chin up as I let out a humorous grimace. "That's pretty dark."

"It is because it's the truth. Life is all about distractions and distractions are made through confidence and confidence is all about creating a balance of what you should care and not care about. Let me tell you something-" Her voice fades for a moment as she placed a strategic pattern of crystals on my face. "It's so much more beneficial for a person to fake confidence instead of beating themselves up for not having any." She finally stands back, giving me the chance to look at the finished look on my face.

I bursted out a gasp that intertwined with laughter as I couldn't stop tilting my head and rotating it to see the makeup on my face. "Holy shit. I-I know this might sound crazy but I wish I can just wake up like this everyday." We laughed together as my eyes were sultry and dark, cut up to a feline wing as a bunch of crystals filled my lid. My cheeks were holographic and glossy, fearlessly embracing the light that hugged onto it as it stretched all way up to my brow bone.

"Wow, can I see your ring!?" The sight of myself was eventually obstructed by Alexis's genuine shock. "It's beautiful!"

"T-thanks." I bit my lip as I tried to contain my excitement. "I got it last night."

Her eyes slowly widened the longer she noticed the ring and what finger it was placed on. "Wait." She eventually snaps her head back at me, her forest grey eyes glinting in realization. "Did he?"

I just nodded with my lips clamped as she rapidly let out a squeal. "Shh! You're the only one that knows and I wanna keep it that way until graduation."