13. No • نہیں

Who hasn't ever wondered: am I a monster or is this what it means to be a person - Clarice Lispector

"Rani!" A loud shout resonated through the crowded streets.

The crowd, halting in their positions. There was a silent rule in the streets, no one mentioned the profession of the dancing girls. Everyone acted blind to who they were, if you needed them, you were expected to knock at the door of their brothel. Not shout out their name in broad daylight. If that wasn't fact enough to show the newness of the man, they way he dressed was enough. In his fancy formal trousers and buttoned white, cotton shirt. The silver wristwatch with a giant dial on his left wrist, and an expensive ring glinting in his hands. You never dressed up, there was always the threat of getting robbed after all.

Laila ignored the shout, sprinting, her heart beat racing. She wrapped the shawl around her body tighter. Ignoring the fast steps following her and her family. While Chaand uncle tried to talk to the man, Laila continued to briskly walk out of the large crowd.

"Oh! Hello! Excuse me!" The baritone voice shouted.

Laila took a deep breath, calming her heart. The man could not do anything to her infront of a crowd. Also not to mention she was off of work this week, so Asma Bi was entitled to protect her anyways.

"Beta ap baad mein ana," [Child you should come later,] Sarah stopped, and softly talked to the young man.

She gave him his due respect, not wanting to cause a scene. Her daughters seldom got to enjoy normalcy, and moments like these, though rare, made her wish she had never returned.

"Please aunty, I mean no disrespect but it's between Rani and I". He offered a tight lipped smile.

Sarah sighed, trying to get Laila out of the predicament. The man, standing infront of, them seemed to be extremely hot blooded and the last thing she wanted was for her daughter to be at the brunt of his actions.

"Sahab apko Rani sai baat karni hai tou randi khanay mein karein. Idhr nahi!" [Sir if you want to talk to Rani then come to the brothel. Not here!] Chaand tapped his shoulder.

The man, finally nodded, his lips pulled into a smirk as he followed them. Walking behind the group, he clenched his fists. Brimming with fury at the blatant ignorance. His manly ego, refusing to take such outright disrespect. The fury inside his blood, almost lashing out, his eyes turning completely red with anger. With a jaw locked in place, brows furrowed, he contemplated what he would say once at the brothel.

Fortunately for him, the short walk to the place ended soon and all of them stepped inside. Asma Bi, who was lounging on the day bed outside, sunbathing, immediately straightened up on seeing an important client step through the doors.

"N-nawab Sahab!" [D-Duke sir!] She gulped.

Azmaray nodded his head slowly, motioning for her to come forward. Asma Bi did as told, walking towards him, hoping that the mother and daughter trio had not done anything to harm him. This man could singlehandedly rip her business apart.

"Send that girl, Rani outside". Azmaray ordered, glaring at Laila's back.

"Of course," she nodded her head in return, motioning for Laila to follow him outside.

Taking a deep breath, not wanting to lash out at the man, she followed him into the street. Prostitutes from neighbouring brothels, standing on their balconies ready to observe the show that was about to commence. Even rand passersby had accumulated in the streets, eager to see the showdown.