33. Love • محبت

Protect others or cause them pain, is always our choice. - Beau Taplin

The time was of the essence

The time was of the essence. Every second, each minute that ran through them was a unit closer to their destination. The winds had changed direction as they drew closer to the monsoon. Their strength rippling from the tall trees that guarded the countryside like valiant soldiers. Doves and Pigeons flew around the open sky, with Hawk's in tow. On the ground beneath, in the bright green of the valley livestock grazed. Lazily under the sun, their tails swirling around and mouth's lowered. The freshness after last nights rain was tasted well on their wide tounge.

In their modernly furnished homes, the people of Mushkpur too got ready to enjoy the season. Proud smiles on their face as the mothers wiped their children's mouths with damp rag clothes. The bright feast that had been delivered under the new Duke's orders was scrumptious. Men sat on the sofas inside their warm lounge, mouths upturned in a smile as they sipped sugary sweet tea. Explaining to their women how the young man that had taken over, seemed to be more than good at his job. Flexing to their kids how they had worked the fields with him.

Inside the large Khan estate, renovations were well under way. Courtesy of Almas who wanted everything to have a fresh look for her youngest son's wedding. Zaeem's in laws had asked them to perform the full wedding. Loud and proud, they wanted to give their grand child the wedding of her dreams, and despite them extending this offer to Laila, she had refused. A bright cherry blush covering her cheeks as she hid behind Azmaray. Sarah joked that Laila was losing all confidence she had developed in the past few years, as a defiance of which she had kissed Azmaray smack on the lips as everyone watched.

For Anbar and Asghar though, things had not gone all that well. With their parents out of the home, and straight to jail as Azaan testified against the. There were nights Anbar missed Hooriya and wanted to run to her arms, however she could not ignore the fact that her mother had known about two murders and refused to do anything about that. Their grandfather Azaan was in jail, and last they had heard, someone had broken the jade head of his stick and bailed themselves out. Everyone knew how attached he was to the stick, so it was nothing but pure heartbreak for him.

Asghar and Anbar had been putting off their visit to the jail for the past week. Their hearts had been hurting and they had wanted to go meet the people that were their family for sometime. However, the betrayal that was staring them in the eye like a proud cobra pierced them. Sharp venom penetrating their veins and poisoning them. It sent their muscles into a shock, a toxic shock and hurt them beyond repair. Their only comfort had been in each others arms. Every night tears and silent whispers of fury were exchanged. Anbar's hands dug into his hand and his held her tight by the waist. They were building themselves back, a piece at a time. The tiny 'I love you's' that slipped in unconscious moments the glue holding them, delicately.

Anbar tied her hair into a three strand braid, tucking them under her printed silk veil. The red of her dress brought out the paleness of her skin. The neutral undertones, glowing. Her feline green eyes were filled with warmth and sparkle. Asghar and her were finally ready to face the skeleton in their closet, the promise Almas made to go with them was like the final push. A gentle nudge in the right direction. Her skin tight shirt with sleeves that brushed her wrist were stunning. The black embroidery with thin sequins running through the shirt, shone under the sunlight. Her black strapped YSL heels gracefully danced the dance of death with the staircase. Her movements graceful like a swan as she moved through the team of event planners and to the side of her husband, like a moth to a flame.