Prologue

Robyn grabbed her bag and waved goodbye to her mum and step-dad before stepping outside and slamming the door behind her. The smile on her face was wiped off when she wasn't greeted by her best friend's familiar face. Instead, she saw her dad looking solemnly at her. 'Where's Sam?' she demanded. 

'They're at the hospital, with Dan.' Her father sighed. 'He got worse overnight. Don't worry about it. Sam will still make it tonight. They wouldn't miss it for the world. What's it raising money for again?'

'Dad, I've told you, like, a thousand times. It's towards research for a cure to cancer. That's the only reason Sam's doing it.' Her dad nodded and hugged her. 

'Anyway, you're going to have to either get the bus or get Elli to give you a lift. I have to go see Dan.' Her dad gave her a quick hug, then turned around and walked away. She emptied her purse, knowing that the change she had wouldn't be enough. She walked towards the nearest bus stop and waited for it to arrive. Then, sighing, she sent a quick text to Sam. How's he doing? 

Sam didn't reply. They were probably with their dad. Robyn grinned to herself, knowing that she'd managed to not refer to them as a 'he' like she was so used to doing. They'd come out as non binary almost 2 months ago, strengthening their friendship with Robyn as their old friends abandoned them. Robyn sometimes wished her family wasn't so complicated. Her mother and father had split up when she was three, after her dad had come out as gay. 

Now, her parents were best friends (her dad was even the best man at her mum's wedding), both with new partners. Her mum's husband, Louis, had no other kids and treated her like his own, and her dad's boyfriend, Dan, has one adopted child, Sam. Dan was diagnosed with cancer three years ago, leading to her dad having to cancel the wedding that was now supposed to happen in the next year. 

Robyn grabbed her water bottle from the side of her bag and took a swig of water. Suddenly, the bus went over a bump, causing her to spill it down her. 'Ooo, look, Martinez wet herself!' came the teasing voice from a few rows behind her. Grace Scott scowled at her. 'Freak,' she sneered, beckoning her sidekicks to come back her up. 'What do you think, Amy? Should we get this freak kicked off the bus. What about you lot, Adam, Liam? Hanna? Answer me Oli!' Grace squawked, sounding something like a parrot.

'Leave her alone!' A voice cut through the descending silence, giving Robyn a sweet feeling of relief. The relief disappeared as quickly as it came when she saw who had spoken. Grace's boyfriend, Joey. 'She's not a freak. She's just different.' He put his arm round Grace's waist and guided her away, smiling apologetically. Less than a minute later, she got a text from Joey, Ignore her. She smiled and put her phone back in her bag as the man came around with a little pot, coming to collect the students' money. Robyn watched in horror as he counted out the change she'd given him and stare at her. 'The fare is £2.95. This is £1.35. If you don't pay, I'm afraid I'll have to kick you off the bus.'

Robyn felt herself going red as the man glowered at her. She could her Grace giggling, hear Joey stopping her. She saw him stand up and head over in her direction. She felt the butterflies she always felt when he came near and watched in awe as he dropped his fare plus £1.60 for her. Then he did something unexpected. He winked. He winked. Robyn's heart dropped like it always did when she went down a vertical hill on a rollercoaster. But unlike when she was on a rollercoaster, she didn't scream. But she almost did. 

He went and sat down next to Grace, putting his arm around her. Maybe Robyn had imagined it. She probably had with her big imagination. Always taking everything one step too far. She sat back and waited until the bus came to a halt outside the school. She walked up the steps to the main building and fought her way through the crowd of people, wishing she had more friends than just Sam.