Part one, Chapter 2 -Empty

The 11 of them were alone as far as they knew. The caretaker looked lost and worried, with Anna clinging on to Benji's arm. Stupid girl. 'Guys, stop worrying. There's food in the staffrooms and mats in the gym. There's a shower in the staff room and plenty of changes of clothes. Calm down.' KJ looked at everyone as he spoke, taking everything in. There was silence then they all began to nod and smile. 'Wait. What about the fire exits?'

'They have an emergency lock with only one set of keys and they're closed. And if you try break out the windows then you'll just hurt your hands. The glass is super strong. Before this place was a school it was... something else. Please trust me.' The caretaker's eyes were dark. 

Everyone was quiet for a moment. Until Joey cried out. In all the panic of being locked in, Robyn had almost forgotten. Almost. 

She rushed to his side along with March and Kathy. Grace pulled something out of her pocket. A small blue lighter. She handed it to the caretaker and ran away wordlessly. Robyn hoped that she was consumed by guilt, what she had done was unforgivable. Joey reached out for Robyn's hand and held it close. 'Robbie. Rob, I'm sorry. It hurts so much,' Joey's face twisted, his breath shallow. 

'Shh,' Robyn didn't pull back from his grip, even as it tightened so much she couldn't feel her hand at all. She lay down on the floor next to him, not speaking. Each time he groaned his hand would tighten. 

'Robyn,' he spoke, his words cutting through the silence. 'You've got to be a fool to think I'm going to make it. Leave me here, find some food or somewhere to sleep. None of the first aid kits are going to help. It hurts so much.'

Joey was crying now. Everyone else in the room were silent. They didn't move. Their faces were all dark, they looked like statues surrounding the pair. 'I love you Joey. I have for 11 years. I can't lose you now, not after all this. I've suffered so much watching you with Grace, Oli or Hanna. Every time I leave other guys they think I'm heartless, but it's just that I feel so guilty when I dedicate myself to you yet pretend to love them. Without you I'd be without purpose. I love you.'

Robyn struggled to keep the extreme emotion out of her voice. Joey's brown eyes caught her blue eyes. 'No you don't. You want me, you don't need me and you certainly don't love me. I don't love you. I'm sorry Robyn, but I really don't. If I said I did you'd never be able to let me go. So just let me die knowing I don't love you. At all.'

They were both crying now. Joey didn't let go of her hand and lay there for minute or two. Grace barged in, the doors slamming behind her. Her hands were empty and her breathing fast, as if she'd been running. 'All the first aid kits are gone. Every classroom. Even in the office they're gone. I don't know what to do.'

Grace rushed to Joey's side and looked at him with venom in her eyes. When she spoke, it was innocently sweet. 'I need you. You can't die!' She held him close. Joey used all of his strength to push her away. He screamed, hissing slightly like a cat. 'Jo-Jo?'

'Don't call me that. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. You don't need me, you just like the attention you get when with me. I hate you. We all know you did this, liar.' Each word Joey said was a single knife to Grace's heart. She'd used and manipulated him yet didn't regret it. But somehow the heartless had fallen for him. Just slightly. And now, in the face of losing him, Grace realised what he'd done for her. 

'I'm so so sorry Joey.' Grace's voice broke and Robyn could tell she was truly sorry. Robyn didn't even feel any jealousy as Joey let go of her hand and reached for Grace's. She just felt hollow. Loved him for eleven years, and now, in the face of losing him, she began to realise just how much he had meant to her. 

Joey had stopped crying now, stopped speaking. He moved his hand from Grace's and once again grasped Robyn's. His grip was iron, crushing the her heart. His hand closed around hers and didn't let go. 'I'm sorry, Robyn. I love y-'