𝐯.

𝐈𝐓 was a cold rainy day when Nathalie trotted behind Elena in the cemetery.

They had already passed an infinite number of graves for a long time and the female vampire was slowly wondering whether this wandering around would come to an end one day. Suddenly, Elena stopped, turning to her left. They were standing in front of a small grave, the last name of her parents engraved in it.

The Gilbert girl sniffled, wiping away a tear that tried to escape her eye. Nathalie put her hand around the brunette and pulled her closer. While hugging her back, Elena sobbed even more and it wasn't long before she just couldn't hold it back any longer and broke into mournful weeping. Her friend rubbed her back, trying to comfort her.

"They're in a good place now", the female vampire said and the brunette nodded. "And they're so proud of you, Elena!" "I know, I just miss them so much", she cried, burrying her face in Nathalie's shoulder.

Suddenly, a loud croak echoed through the forest the cemetery was surrounded with and the girls both flinched. "It's fine", Nathalie said, breathing heavily, and gave the creature that was crouching on a stone statue a few gravestones away from them, a grim look.

"It was just a stupid crow. Come on, let's get out of here."

ೃ⁀➷ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷

"What took Katherine and you so long in the tomb? Where you discussing the world war?", Stefan questioned when he handed his friend a plate. "No, just girls stuff, private things. You know", Nathalie said, placing the dishes on the table. "And before you say something about Elena now, you know full well that Katherine can't stand her."

"Speaking of Elena, you were at the cemetery, right? How is she doing?" Nathalie sighed. "Well, depending on the circumstances, until your charming brother scared us to death."

"Hello my beloved other half, Brownie. So, what's on for dinner?", Damon purred, entering the room. Speaking of the devil! "Nothing for you, unless you help laying the table", Nathalie grumbled, handing him cutlery and pushing him away. "Also, it would be really nice of you to abstain from giving us a heart attack next time."

"Oh come on, don't take that card now!", the raiven haired man complained, putting the forks, knives and spoons in a perfect ordner next to the plates. "It wasn't that scary and it was fun." "Well, not for us, so just leave it. And if you'd stop stalking Elena all the time too, that would be nice as well." Damon huffed out loud. "Why do you women always make so many demands? It must be awful to live with you." "It applies to you as well, and we survive anyway. And now stop complaining and lend a hand." He raised his hand apologetically. "Alright Mum, no need to get nasty. Who's coming over for dinner anyway?"

Nathalie's head snapped around, her eyes meeting Stefan's hazel ones. Both were unsure what to say now. "Don't give me that we're-worried-parents-look. I'm a big boy, I can handle it." The brunette shrugged, as she placed the last plate on it's place.

"Matt is coming over for dinner." Damon narrowed his ice blue eyes at her. "Matt?", he repeated, the sound of disgust filling his voice. "Yeah, is that a problem?" "Is your question dumb?", was his sarcastic answer and Nathalie rolled her eyes. "Of course it is a problem. I'm not going to let Donovan into my house. Nuh-uh, forget it."

"Well, in our favour your opinion doesn't count anyway, so say what you want. We need to talk to Matt and this is the perfect opourtunity. Suck it up, life goes on." Nathalie smiled triumphantly as she looked at her accomplished work.

"Et voilá!"

ೃ⁀➷ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷

"This food is fantastic! I didn't even know that you could cook that well!", Matt complimented and Nathalie beamed. "I'm glad that you like it. To be honest, I didn't know myself that I could do that." Matt shoveled another fork of beans into his mouth. "But I also had a great help", she added with a quick look at Stefan, who was smiling at her from the other end of the table. Damon sat bored beside the brunette, his elbows on the table, staring into the air:

"You really act like a child", she muttered as she poked at the food with her fork. "Can't you at least pretend that you enjoy our guest?" Damon sighed loudly. "Anything else I should do?" "Listen, I know this is getting on your nerves right now, but attempt to try at least a little bit. I'm just trying to help." "Ever thought that we don't want your help?", he asked harshly and stood up. "I have to get some fresh air."

"Mhm, that was delicious", Matt said, licking his lips. "We have dessert as well", Nathalie smiled, getting up. "Stefan made Brownies." The dark blonde boy looked at his watch, sighing. "As much as I would like to taste them, I really have to go now. Thank you for your hospitality and for inviting me over for dinner!"

Stefan stood up as well. "Uhm, before you go, we have to talk to you about something." Matt looked back and forth between the two. "Are you going to confess to me now that you two are lovers, or what?" Nathalie instantly blushed and Stefan cleared his throat awkwardly. "Actually we wanted to ask you something about Caroline."

"We assume you were pretty shocked when you saw her like this",  Nathalie added and Matt's expression darkened. "You know about it?", he asked and they both nodded. "Are you also something like that?" His words almost sounded pejorative and it hurt Nathalie that he judged her own kind this way. But somehow she couldn't blame him either. She had reacted similarly when she first heard about vampires.

"Yes, but we just want to help", Stefan tried to appease him. "So you drink blood and suck on people?", Matt asked stunned and took a few steps back. Nathalie was astonished that he had recovered so quickly from the horror Caroline had given him a few hours ago. Unfortunately she had been careless and Matt had caught her drinking a blood bag. After that, she'd told him everything, which obviously wasn't such a good idea.

"Matt, please-" "No!", he shouted, bringing more distance between the two vampires and himself. "Don't touch me. Stay away from me or I'll call Sheriff Forbes!"

"And then what?", Damon asked, who just entered the room through the door. "Do you want to turn her on us and her own daughter?" "Once she knows what you are, she will see you, especially Caroline, with different eyes." Damon snorted. "Are you sure?" He took a few steps towards Matt and grabbed his shoulders.

"Now listen to me very carefully, Donovan", he whispered, looking deep into his eyes. "You can't remember Caroline's little blood bag campaign and this dinner. You don't have a clue about vampires and were just at home all day today, which is also where you're going to go now." Matt nodded silently and went out the door.

Damon turned to Stefan and Nathalie. "I'm gone for a moment and everything gets out of hand. You like to complicate things, don't you?"