𝐯𝐢𝐢.

𝐊𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐄'𝐒 eyes flinched open when she heard footsteps from the above.

Slowly she straightened up, the dark cyrcles under her eyes shining in the mat light that penedrated through the small opening when her gaze focused on the contours of the person coming closer to her.

"Are you here to give me some moral sermon again?", she growled, eyeing the wall stubbornly. "Actually I thought you might like something for your nerves", was the reply and a shot cup filled with a red liquid slid in her direction. Katherine caught it with her fingers and emptied it in one gulp. "I thought you were Damon and would criticize me again", she muttered as Nathalie sat down next to her on the cold stone floor.

"The only criticism I would make of you would be to accuse you of not contacting me in all these years. Seriously, why did you never say anything?" The brunette sighed. "I knew that as soon as I would give even the slightest sign of life, Klaus would be on my tail again. It would have been too risky and I didn't want you to be in danger as well. At that time I didn't know either that he's also keen to get his hands on you. You still haven't told me why, by the way."

Nathalie smiled. "I have to go now", she said, standing up and took the cup from the floor. Katherine got on her feet as well. "No, don't go yet. I have questions as well." "I'm sorry, I promised Elena to come over for dinner", her friend apologized, brushing the dust of her jeans. The vampire made a face. "You dump me for Elena?"

"I'll come back when I'm free again. Don't burn down the town while I'm gone", she said and turned around. Katherine groaned. "Not that I could." 

ೃ⁀➷ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷ ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ೃ⁀➷

Knock, knock.

A few seconds later the door swung open and a brown-haired boy, about her age, stood across from Nathalie. Maybe the wrong address? "Um, is Elena there?", she asked uncertainly and feared that the boy would slam the door in her face any moment. Instead he turned sideways and roared back over his shoulder. "ELENA! HERE'S SOMEONE FOR YOU!" Nathalie could make out Elena's voice in the background quietly, but still audible. The boy turned back to her. "Come on in, she's in the kitchen," he said, nodding his head towards a small, narrow hallway that led to an illuminated room.

 "Shit!" Cursing came from the kitchen and Nathalie saw a dark blonde woman standing frantically with her hands at the stove. Cooking didn't seem to be her thing, at least that's what her charred T-shirt looked like. "Oh damn! I'm late for my date!" She quickly grabbed her bag and tore her coat off the cloakroom. "I'll be back soon. Just do me a favor and don't burn down the house." "We'll try", Elena replied, who came out from behind a corner with a smile. "Have fun Jenna!" She was already rushing out the door. "You and your friend too." "Nathalie", the female vampire called after her. "Nice to meet you!", it came back from her, before the young woman finally disappeared from her field of vision.

"Hey Nat, nice to have you here." Elena wrapped her arms around the brunette who returned the hug. "Thanks for the invitation. I missed you so much." "Me too. What have you been doing in the last few days? Stefan just said you were busy." Nathalie could feel her hands getting sweaty. Should she tell Elena about Matt? She would probably denigrate Damon too and she actually wanted to avoid a conversation about the raiven haired man at the moment.

She kept thinking about last night. What did he have to do? Especially at this time? And why didn't he want her to find out? She quickly pushed the thought away and grimaced. "Renovation work. This house may look like it's in good shape, but in reality it's a wreck if you ask me." Elena smiled. "I can imagine. Will you help me with the salad?" Nathalie nodded and they set the table.

A few minutes later the doorbell rang. "Are you expecting visitors?", the brunette asked as Elena placed the rice pan on the table. "I hope you don't mind that I invited Stefan and Damon." That was clear. "Of course not. The more the better, right?" Nathalie cursed inwardly on her way to the door. Why hadn't she told Stefan about it? Then he would certainly not have shown up with Damon in tow. Sighing, she opened the door.

It was well known that looks could kill, but Damon's literally pierced her when she looked at the two brothers with her head tilted. "You really can't help spying on me, can you?" "Shut up and let us in", Stefan chuckled, rolling his eyes and Nathalie stepped aside. When Damon pushed himself past her, she tensed by the touch of his body brushing against hers. Pull yourself together!

The feeling didn't go away when they sat down at the dining table and he had to sit next to her, of all people. "I hope you like the food. Jenna wasn't exactly helpful", Elena said, sticking a full fork into her mouth. "It tastes great, Lena", Nathalie smacked her lips and took a sip from her glass. "And how far are you with the renovation work? Nathalie said the house is a lot of work." 

The female vampire inhaled. Shit. She nudged Stefan gently with her foot and gave him a quick glance. He understood immediately, but Damon got absolutely nothing. "Have you been drinking?", he asked Nathalie. "We're not doing any renovation work on the house." Suddenly he grimaced in pain. "Oh you naughty girl. You and Stefan started without me!"

Stefan smiled when he realized the brunette had kicked him under the table. "If you guys want I can come and help as well", Elena offered, pouring some juice into her glass. "Four people are definitely faster than three. Bonnie and Caroline are sure to be happy to help too." "No", Nathalie exclaimed and her friend looked at her confused. "I mean, we don't want to impose that to you. Besides, we're as good as done. Don't worry." Elena shrugged and continued to eat. Just got lucky again!

After they had all done the dishes together, Elena's guests said goodbye to her. Stefan stayed with his girlfriend for a short time in the house while Damon and Nathalie waited outside. The brunette pranced restlessly in place. She really wanted to know where Damon was yesterday and it just didn't leave her in peace why he wasn't exactly happy to give information about it. "If you keep jumping around like that, I'll get a stroke. Come on, spit it out", he growled and Nathalie immediately noticed how her hands were starting to sweat again. Is there any medicine or something against that?

"Where have you been yesterday?", she blurted out and he groaned. "Ok I'll take it back. I'd rather have the stroke." The female vampire took a step towards him. "Where have you been yesterday?", she repeated in a sort of angry but somehow calm tone. "I told you not to worry about it. I just had something to do, no big deal." No big deal?

"Damon, it was past midnight and you want me to believe it wasn't a big deal? Who goes out at this time of day just to get something done?" He grinned. "Me." "And that couldn't wait until the morning?" He shook his head in response. "Fine, don't tell me", she muttered, poking her shoulder against his as she trudged past him.

"But if you think you can get away with it and I won't find out, then you know me worse than I thought."