Chapter 1

Amity Blight, the smartest student in her grade, was walking through the white and blue halls of Hexside with her "friends" Boscha and Skara. Truthfully, she didn't really like them that much. All they ever did was be mean to people and it killed Amity to see stuff like that happen. But it seemed that her parents wanted to control everything in her life, including her social one. She still remembered what they said the first day she walked to Hexside with the two of them: "Remember Amity! Keep your social status high, whatever the cost!", and, well, according to Boscha that meant being mean to people who were less popular, even if that person just so happened to be the one person who seemed to ever truly care about her. But, she really didn't want her parents to abuse her again. So, she followed Boscha's lead and was always mean to the people who were less popular in her school, even if it did kill her inside.

Boscha and Skara were talking to each other while Amity was thinking about her next class. Alright, I have abominations first period. I think we'll be reviewing our study guides for the upcoming test. I should study when... I get... Is that? Her train of thought was interrupted when she noticed someone leaning against a few of the lockers.

Round ears.

It was the new human girl everyone had been talking about. Amity took a good, long look at her. She had short, brown hair, light, brown eyes, and darker skin. She was wearing black earrings, white shoes, and a standard Hexside uniform, except... Is that all the different track colors on her uniform? So the rumors are true, Amity thought to herself. The human is taking a little bit of everything.

Amity kept staring at her, studying her in a way. She noticed that the human was talking to Willow Park, who had (unfairly in Amity's opinion) been given the nickname "Half a witch Willow". Great, Amity sarcastically thought to herself. Boscha bully fuel.

"Is that the new human girl?" As if on cue, Boscha finally (and unfortunately) noticed the short-haired human at the end of the hall.

"Oh my gosh, I think it is," Skara said in a mocking tone. Amity mentally sighed. Here we go, she thought to herself.

The three of them started walking towards Willow and her new human friend, Boscha upfront, with Skara on her right, but a little behind, and Amity, taking up the rear, preparing herself to try and smile and laugh along.

As the trio got closer, the short-haired human looked up and noticed the three witches approaching her. She stood up properly with a smile on her face and took a small step forwards. Willow followed her gaze and also noticed the trio approaching, but her reaction was quite the opposite. Her calm face turned to panic, as she tried to warn her new friend. But Boscha beat her to it.

"Hey," Boscha said to the human in a chill voice, a sly smile plastered on her face.

"Hi!" The human girl stated. "Nice to meet you! I'm Luz! What's your name?" As she did this, the human (Luz?) bowed with her head and held out her hand. Amity held back a small giggle.

Rather than taking Luz's hand, Boscha started laughing. The brown-haired girl looked up, confused. "What's so fu-" She was interrupted when Boscha, out of nowhere, smacked the small pile of books and papers out of Luz's hands and proceeded to push her to the ground. Luz looked up, not with anger or hurt, but with more of a confused and surprised look.

Boscha glared down at her. "I just thought I'd give you a nice, warm welcome to Hexside. Get used to it here, human." And with that Boscha and Skara walked away, Skara sticking her tongue out at them as she turned. However, Amity didn't move. She stood there, looking down at Luz. "Coming Amity?" She heard Boscha call.

"Yeah, I'll catch up with you in a minute," She called back. As she waited for Boscha and Skara to turn the corner away from them, Amity looked up at Willow. Willow was looking down at Luz with a look of horror. Amity could tell that Willow had wanted to say something but was too scared to. And, honestly, Amity didn't blame her. Everyone remembers what Boscha did to Amity's older sister, Emira, when she tried to defend a new girl, Viney, last year.

As soon as Amity heard Boscha and Skara turn the corner, Amity knelt down and helped Luz and Willow pick up Luz's stuff. When they were done, Amity handed Luz the papers that she had picked up and just said, "I would stay away from Boscha if I were you." Then she turned to walk away.

"Wait!" Luz called out. Amity looked back at her. "Why do you hang out with them? I can tell you're better than that."

Amity looked at her with a soft smile and sad eyes. "Not really," she said simply. Then Amity continued to walk away. Yet, she paused again. Without even turning around Amity said to Luz, "But trust me, if I had a choice, those two would be the last two people I'd ever want to see." Then she set off for her first-period class.

I know this is short but I really wanted to post something. I hope you enjoyed and I'm open to any and all constructive criticism and suggestions! Have a great day/evening!