before the storm

Getting to the 22-week mark of being pregnant meant Amaia was halfway through with the pregnancy and that meant Luca and Mara were starting to look into what they needed for a nursery

Getting to the 22-week mark of being pregnant meant Amaia was halfway through with the pregnancy and that meant Luca and Mara were starting to look into what they needed for a nursery. The couple were smart in buying a house after getting married, they'd worked too hard not to invest that money into their future.

The couple's adult choices made Amaia feel like she was behind in some invisible checklist society put on adults. When she would spiral down the path of jealousy Amaia had to center herself and remember that she is where she is supposed to be and is happy with what she has.

She is happy with being in a relationship with Buck, in being in a relationship where her being a surrogate was a decision he supported. The one thing she was still getting used to was Bucks schedule as a firefighter because there were days where she would go without seeing him in person. Luckily one of those days wasn't today, seeing as the couple had decided to go out rather than stay in on the cloudy morning.

Throughout her pregnancy, Amaia had decided to be extra healthy and extra healthy meant exercising more than she ever previously did. An hour before the sun would set Amaia would walk around her neighborhood, and in days where she had free time, she'd join Vanessa in her yoga classes.

The morning being cloudy gave Amaia the inspiration to go on a hike, Buck on the other hand at the news of his pregnant girlfriend wanting to go on a hike he chooses a park that didn't have steep trails.

Amaia having finished telling Buck about the surprising long maternity leave she'd from her job she finally asks, "You've had this sad look since last night, what happened?"

"Bobby got suspended," Buck tells the girl whose hand he held making her tighten the hold

"Why?" Amaia asks knowing the 118 captain wouldn't do anything to harm the public nor his coworkers

"When accepting the job in LA with the 118 he never disclosed what happened in Minnesota," Buck explains very vaguely as he takes the lead up the trail while still holding Amaia's hand "He uh- there was a fire in his building, one he blames himself for because at the time he was an alcoholic and his family died in the fire while he survived"

"This was because of the bank investigation?" Amaia asks it being the only thing that comes to mind

"Yeah," Buck sighs

Before Amaia can say a full sentence one of her feet slips but the other stays steady yet it worries Buck making him hold her even tighter, "Buck I'm okay"

"Are you sure a hike was the right thing to do? You know you are-"

Before he can finish the sentence Amaia guesses how it would end, "Pregnant?"

"Clumsy"

At the answer Amaia nods her head knowing he was right, "That's true, but I wanted to go on a hike"

"And the fluffy pancakes afterward?" Buck asks as they continue along the trek still holding hands

"Oh my God yes! I totally forgot about those pancakes," Amaia gasps not believing she forgot they were close to the diner that had her favorite fluffy pancakes