Enslaved

Osabiegun roared in anger from the throne as he immediately stood up. It was always rare to see Osabiegun rise from the throne. He would only do that if he was angry or intending to execute a person.

The eldest priest who had noticed this continued to recite a poem in a song about patience and a verse from their scripture he had used to backed it up. Soon, he cast down his stones on a white thread as he seek from Ifa the next step to take.

The chiefs and elders will not also stop to pacify the king for no one knew exactly what Osabiegun was going to do and judging from the fact that Efon was a powerful village once upon a time, they shouldn't be looked down upon so easily.

But why should they fear? The eldest priest interrupted with a chorus he chanted as the rest of the priest sang aloud every last word.

In the chorus was a message for war and a sacrifice to which they must carry if they want to be victorious. For their forefathers had pledge to worship the witches, a sacrifice must be offered to the black birds of the night sky lest, their own very blood will be what they would drink next.

Osabiegun returned to his throne as his anger has been suppressed. He pointed to one of the guards to whom he ordered to go with two of the other guards in search of a baby born at dusk.

But as soon as he gave the order, the eldest priest quickly voiced out which stopped the guards from acting promptly to the order of the king as the eldest priest said, he would not be needing a baby for the sacrifice for the sacrifice they demanded is simple.

Maybe this was a good news for Osabiegun for this will not be a hard task to do at all, and Oranmiyan who was solely interested in taking Okiki-osupa for himself saw the war as a medium to execute his plan.

The eldest priest confirmed a black goat, the left ear of an antelope, the tongue of a black dog and the tail of an agama lizard for the sacrifice which the king quickly ordered the guards to tell a hunter to get for him.

The continuous salutation which the elders continue to pay the king was what vexed the chiefs and they call the elders cowards who were afraid of war because if they were not, why were they already peeing in their trouser, clenching their teeth to kill the cold which does not exist?

One of the most dedicated hunter to which everyone hardly see in the village was given the message of the king and according to rumor, he would kill anything he draws his arrow unto for his forefathers are always with him and Ogun which he serves will never let him down.

It wasn't long the hunter received the message of the king that he damble into the bush for an antelope he did not stay too long in the bush to kill as he cut of its ear and to the palace he took it.

The other items of the sacrifice was what the eldest priest could provide himself as he had made ready everything including the tail of the agama lizard which he already prepared into the calabash.

Soon, the thick night swallowed the day and all that was remaining was the total loud silence throughout the village for each person has been warned by the town crier whom the king has sent to tell the villagers to remain indoor as the person who sees the sacrifices shall go along with the sacrifice.

Only two of the priests had gone together with Osabiegun himself to offer the sacrifice at the T-junction where it was believed to be the center where the witches come together to gossip in their own realm.

According to the eldest priest, Ifa made him understand that it was most important for the king himself to carry the sacrifice which had been prepared into the calabash from the palace to the T-junction and this was one of the reason any one who would see the sacrifice aside from the priests shall be used as one of the items for the sacrifice.

The eldest priest led the way in the fore front and the other priest at the back as they kept reciting eulogies; first, to adored the witches and second to pacify them to accept their sacrifice.

The witches in their realm had seen them as they come and a continuous slow dance they lifted their legs and their eye they kept rolling in an evil manner.

Their garment were not only tattered but were dark than the darkest sky itself. Even with their claws and dirty selves they were not ugly but beautiful and if they can be seen in some clean clothes and mistaken as a proper human, maybe all the men of Ifa-ile would have them as wife.

Osabiegun did as the eldest priest had ordered him to lay the sacrifice down gently on the ground and while the eldest priest continued to shake his gourd with several of incantations he continued to chew.

The moment he was done with his incantation the other priest began to quote verses in a song from their scripture.

A story he had reminded the witches about who they were and how powerful and fierce they were that everyone would be scared of them. About the blood they will drink as wine and flesh they will eat as meat for no other god sort their own worship except them, mothers in their secret places.

Even at this moment, the wind started to slap the face of the earth, and the earth started to shake in fear but the eldest priest will not stop not until the eldest witch had spoken and a question she asked for what they wanted.

In a song the eldest priest had answered the voice of the eldest witch who had echoed out from the wind if the witches will support them as they wish to embark on a war for a village had trample upon them and asked them for what they will do.

Some evil laughter the witches had exploded into as the eldest priest will not stop to pacify them with songs of praise, how great they were and how no one dared to face their wraught lest, they die untimely.

But with some stringent conditions shall the witches hacken unto what they bid. The eldest priest will not even delay as he asked quickly what else they want since they brought to them sacrifice Ifa told them they required.

Quiet was the answer the witches gave as after some moment they began again with their evil laughter which was louder than even before.

The priest will not deviate to ask again and a plead he begged them that they tell them so they can offer it to them but their last word was what the witches repeated in a question for them to which they asked if really they will do what they bid?

Both of the priests confirmed at once their intention to provide whatever they ask and the continuous evil laugh again the witches exploded in as the eldest witch warned them afterwards for it has now become a taboo if they will not provide what they will demand because a person who betray a given promise must be ready to face the consequence to which will happen.

Again, the eldest priest accepted that they can be punished if they fail to bring for them the sacrifice to which they will ask as he asked again for what they want but as the eldest witch spoke, their eyes fluttered opened in total surprise.