two

Hi all!

Thanks so much for the support on the last chapter—even just those few votes and comments encourage me to continue on with this :)

I literally wrote half of this next part on zero hours of sleep + I was at school so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what you all think of it baha (also suggestions for future chapters are more than welcome!!)

Enjoy all you lovely people and as always, stay safe <3 -B

***

Despite the events to have unfolded back at the market, nothing was going to stop Ji-yeong from taking Sae-Byeok down to the bar. It was a nice little open hut style type thing, with stools surrounding the serving area, most of them currently unoccupied. Everything was thickly enwreathed by radiant flowers and vines, adding to the sandy, serene atmosphere of the beach behind them.

Ji-yeong picked a purple Frangipani from the branch rooftop that shaded them both from the afternoon's golden rays. "These are pretty," she said, studying the soft, delicate petals as she spun the flower around with her fingertips.

"This Island is pretty," added Sae-Byeok, looking discreetly around.

Ji-yeong leaned slightly forward and tucked the flower gently behind Sae-Byeok's ear, grinning.

Sae-Byeok gazed into her eyes as she did this, obvious shyness colouring her cheeks. "Thanks."

"Now you're really living the Islander lifestyle," Ji-yeong joked warmly.

The friendly bartender, a beefy man with tattoos dancing along his arms and across his neck, placed two lofty glasses in front of Ji-yeong and Sae-Byeok. At last, they'd received the smoothies they had previously talked so much about.

Ji-yeong clapped. "Yes!" She leaned in for the straw and took a prolonged sip of her tropical, vibrant mango drink.

Sae-Byeok just stirred hers around, remaining quiet. She couldn't believe how utterly pure Ji-yeong was compared to her cold and dismissive behaviours—the way she was so careless to have punched a man in the face like that. Perhaps she was too much. Not necessarily for Ji-yeong, but rather too much for herself and the different people around her.

"Totally worth it," the blissfully unaware Ji-yeong now shrieked, kicking her feet under the stool with fulfillment. She nudged Sae-Byeok and pouted. "Hey, what's got you down so suddenly?"

Sae-Byeok twisted a straw in between her fingers as she shrugged. "Just thinking about that rude man again. Sort of feel bad, you know? He was out of line but-" She shook her head. "Forget it."

Ji-yeong frowned and addressed her with eyes of mellow sympathy, or was that empathy? Sae-Byeok couldn't quite tell. "Don't sweat it, that dude had it coming. And to be honest, he's lucky you taught him that lesson when you did, otherwise who knows what other troubles he would have caused the people around here."

"You think so?" questioned Sae-Byeok, doubtful yet hopeful all the same.

"Positive. Now drink your smoothie before it gets cold."

Both girls laughed in unison at this silly, unintentional joke, and even had the bartender smiling as he dried cups and glasses from the other side of the bar. After they had sobered, Sae-Byeok at last took a gulping sip of her smoothie (watermelon), and sighed with refreshment after her lips parted from the pink twirly straw. "That was amazing. You were definitely right, Ji-yeong."

Ji-yeong winked at her pridefully. "Told ya so."

The two girls soon finished up, thanked the kind man who they had grown quite familiar with in the short time they were there, and headed for the track along the beach that would hopefully lead them back home.

Waves crashed and birds flew overhead to remind them that they were not completely alone here. But everything was so in place, so peaceful, that Sae-Byeok was still waiting for the moment she was jerked suddenly awake in a break of sweats—back in that horrid place, a looming nightmare to never leave her.

Her sense of reality was quickly snapped back when Ji-yeong tugged at her shirt, pointing over at the water. "Look at the sun reflecting on it," she said, eyes alit with an admiring kind of awe.

Sae-Byeok merely smiled. That was all she had to do around Ji-yeong. She did not have to slip into a resentful rant relating her old life, or her past experiences. She could just simply, unapologetically live in the moment, and she loved it.

"Wanna go in the water?" asked Sae-Byeok as the pair walked along the sandy earth.

Ji-yeong lifted a puzzled eyebrow. "We don't have any bathers."

"So?" Sae-Byeok smirked, further imposing her impulsive idea. "Race you there!"

Before Ji-yeong could even register a reply, Sae-Byeok was already kicking off her sneakers and sprinting for the ocean in a sputter of wobbly giggles.

She immediately chased after her, despite having already lost the race as the rather fast paced Sae-Byeok's feet and ankles submerged under the shallow water. Ji-yeong caught up eventually and splashed a handful of the ocean at this rather cocky friend of hers. "I wasn't ready for that!" she bellowed sulkily.

"A race is a race.. And I totally beat you!"        Sae-Byeok's hair was dripping from the ends and a few droplets had already splashed up onto her shirt. Ji-yeong, however, had gotten away on a less harsher punishment—but not for very long.

She screamed out when Sae-Byeok unexpectedly hoisted her over her strong shoulders and carried her further out into the water.

"HEYHEYHEY, PUT ME DOWNNNN!" Ji-yeong hollered, driving weak fists into Sae-Byeok's back as she laughed and refused these half genuine, half teasing pleas. "I MEAN IT SAE-BYEOK, IF YOU DON'T I'M GONNA-"

On fearful anticipation, Ji-yeong was dunked into the water by Sae-Byeok, soaking her entire body and making her now wet clothes stick to her skin. She quickly popped her head above water, gasping, running her hands through her trickling hair. "So not cool!" But somehow, she was laughing through these irritable words.

Belly wrenching, mouth aching, eye watering type chortles were easily escaping her helpless lips. Sae-Byeok was finding it all quite amusing, too. She squatted down in the water, her face coming impossibly close to Ji-yeong's.

When noticing a strand of loose hair covering one of her eyes, Sae-Byeok gently moved it out the way, tucking it behind Ji-yeong's ear and keeping her hand in that spot for the sweet, euphoric moment they were in the midst of sharing together.

"You," said Sae-Byeok. "You are my home."

***
MMMM THOUGHTSSS??? 👀
This was honestly so fun to write and I'd love to hear any comments you have about it :)
A bit of a cliffhanger but suspense is a good thing, right??

Next chapter coming relatively soon ‼️