six

love
/lʌv/

noun
1.
Love means to be deeply committed and connected to someone or something. The basic meaning of love is to feel more than liking towards someone. It is a bond that two people share.

//

Sae-Byeok was beyond relieved to take in a gulp of fresh, balmy air as the plane landed and all the passengers were let out. She kept close to Ji-yeong as they made it down to ground level, where feeling her shoes meet the steady earth made consolation flow through her mind.

"Ready to go?" asked Ji-yeong, slipping a pair of darkened sunglasses into her bag as they moved into a more shaded area.

Sae-Byeok nodded with undeniable certainty as her eyes followed the crowd of hurrying passengers bustling through to the entrance of the airport. They would be in there soon, hopefully emerging with her brother after finding him safe and in a healthy state.

Hopefully.

The inside of the airport was loud as they entered it, like a shockwave piercing through their ears. Ji-yeong had to lean in close to Sae-Byeok if she was to possibly hear her, which proved as being inconvenient since they were being continuously pushed further into the terminal by the crowd forming behind them.

"We should split up," said Ji-yeong suggestively. She pointed to a lone vending machine that stood adjacent to the food court. "We'll meet back up there if either one of us finds him."

Sae-Byeok nodded as she tucked her dark, ashy hair behind her ear. "Got it."

The pair parted ways, Ji-yeong heading for the luggage area as Sae-Byeok aimlessly sent herself in a different direction. All the people here seemed irrelevant now—a thing of utter unimportance as she slowly felt her pace quicken into a jog.

The smell of plane tickets and Sushi bars filled the air, a home away from home type memory coming back in segments. This, somehow, presented itself as motivation to Sae-Byeok.

She began sprinting through the terminal, hope surging through the doubts she had been holding onto for so long.

As if it were a movie with a predictable plot, this being the final scene, she experienced a feeling of triumph and deeper meaning.

She thought that in this moment no other feeling in the world could possibly match seeing her brother's young face emerge from a crowd of blurred people.

But this was no movie.

Sae-Byeok stopped short, the world moving fast but her brain moving slow.

"Kang Cheol!" she cried at last, feeling somewhat like a relieved mother finally being reunited with her son. After all, their parents had not been there for quite some time, so in a way this feeling made perfect sense to Sae-Byeok.

Kang Cheol grinned broadly, instantly breaking into a run toward his sister. The pure expression of joy painted across his face did not disperse until their two bodies linked into a welcoming, loving hug.

Sae-Byeok closed her eyes, swaying her brother from side to side as the two of them smiled into each other's backs. This was a happiness she could not deny.

"I've missed you so much," whispered Kang Cheol, a purity in his voice that only a child would have.

"Me too," answered Sae-Byeok.

Before long, the sound of consistent footsteps followed up behind them and Sae-Byeok pulled away from her brother, though he still remained close to her side.

Ji-yeong was also looking relieved as she realised the young boy had been found, her lips dancing into a contagious smile. "You found him! That's so great, Sae-Byeok—"

But Sae-Byeok had already managed to slip free of her brother's attachment and to everyone's great surprise, cupped Ji-yeong's cheeks gently with her hands and planted a meaningful kiss on her soft, unsuspecting lips.

It happened so suddenly that even Sae-Byeok looked astonished when she pulled away. Her brother was quietly cheering under his breath which made her want to laugh a little, but she instead remained solemn as she scanned over Ji-yeong's so far unreadable expression.

Sae-Byeok's heart thudded and her body felt weak as the adrenaline petered out.

At last, Ji-yeong looked thoughtful in her beautiful, pale face. "I've been waiting for that," she said lightheartedly.

Sae-Byeok laughed, breaking the seriousness that had felt suffocating all those moments before. "I'm glad we can all be together now. Like a family, right?" She looked down at her brother who nodded vigorously in response, flashing a supportive smile between his sister and Ji-yeong.

"Right!"

Sae-Byeok steered him in the middle of her and Ji-yeong and the two of them held one of the boys hands each, walking back toward the exit carried by an undeniable feeling of closure.

Sae-Byeok never wanted to let herself feel afraid again, not like she had been while hiding her most honest feelings from her best friend all this time.

There had always been something there between them—that was no secret at all, nor had it ever been. All these things she felt were not because of any reason other than the fact that she was unconditionally in love with Ji-yeong, and she was lucky enough that Ji-yeong loved her back.

They would not have to go back to Jeju Island to be home. They would only have to be here in this moment, together. Because sometimes, home is not a place.

Home is a family.

\\

Wowww okay! This story has been a huge roller coaster of emotions but I'm really glad I got around to finishing it.

Hopefully you all like this ending too!

While this storyline has been fairly short, I'm immensely appreciative for all the support and feedback I've received along the way.

To all you amazing readers out there, I wish you all the best! And, not to be a mood killer or anything, but please don't forget to vote or leave a comment if you wish to do so 👈

Thank you x1000 <3 -B