four

"Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes!" Sae-Byeok chanted loudly at Ji-yeong, who was still yawning herself awake as they plodded side by side along a sandy pathway.

"You know," she said. "Pancakes are great and all, but not this early in the morning."

The Island was enwreathed in its usual, beautiful atmosphere—the sun greeting them both from over the craggy mountains that stood exultant and vast in the distance.

"You like afternoon smoothies and that's fine," said Sae-Byeok. "But I'm more of a breakfast person myself."

Ji-yeong scoffed ruefully and rolled her eyes. "Says the one who's slept in twice within the past week."

"What?" Sae-Byeok couldn't help but smile as she spoke. "That's not all that bad."

"Breakfast doesn't count if you're having it that late in the day, silly," Ji-yeong responded wittingly. She winked. "See, this is why you're lucky I'm here to wake you up in time for your so called precious breakfast."

Sae-Byeok smirked, pointing her face toward the ground. "You're so right," she said.

The growing shape of a small, oddly shaped diner could now be seen by the pair as they ventured. It was the colour of coffee beans, the dark and rich sort, and carried a nostalgic Sunday morning smell through to their tingling nostrils. As they advanced toward the parking lot occupied by just one lone van, Sae-Byeok felt a soft vibration in her pocket. She quickly slid out her mobile and sighed. "I'll be right back. Go wait inside for me."

Ji-yeong nodded without objection and before long, had disappeared behind the glass door of the little breakfast diner. Sae-Byeok took this chance to turn away, edging toward the curb of the empty lot as she answered the call that had been flashing upon the cracked screen of her phone. She raised it to her ear. "Hello?"

'Sae-Byeok, is it? Kang... Sae-Byeok?' The voice to speak on the other end undoubtedly belonged to a woman, her strained, rasp tone sounding practiced as if she was reading from a slip of paper.

"Oh, yes. That's me," Sae-Byeok responded kindly. "May I ask who I'm speaking to?"

'My name is Hye-jin. I'm the one looking after your younger brother?' The woman's voice raised to a slightly higher pitch, turning the statement into more of a question.

Sae-Byeok smacked her forehead with her free palm. "Of course! How could I forget?" She laughed nervously into the phone until her unsteady attempt of lightening the grave mood petered out into silence.

'Ms Kang Sae-Byeok,' Hye-jin said at last, though the grimness clinging onto her tone made a pit form in Sae-Byeok's stomach immediately.

She cut in abruptly, her tongue acting as a knife. "What, what is it? Is everything alright? Is my br—"

'Please, dearest girl. Calm yourself. Your brother... he has run away from my care. The police are trying to track him right as we speak, I can promise you that.'

Sae-Byeok's heart pumped to the point where it hurt, and she had to steady herself against the hood of the parked van that was, she was hoping, empty inside. "Are you sure? I mean, why would he run away so suddenly? That is not like my brother at all." Her thoughts sprinted in dizzying circles around her and Sae-Byeok feared she could barely focus in on what the courteous old woman was now saying.

'Perhaps he went to find you—he talks about visiting you quite often. But I assure you, Ms Sae-Byeok, I treat him very well, like a son.'

That was all she could capture. Sae-Byeok nodded as if Hye-jin was able to see her. "I believe you," she said quietly, swallowing. "Please call me if you hear anything. My friend and I will do all we can from here, too."

After Hye-jin sent her last wish of safeness toward the girl and a motherly goodbye, the two hung up the call. Sae-Byeok was left feeling helpless and dismayed in this almost vacant parking lot, and thought the only logical thing to do now was ask for Ji-yeong's advice in the matter.

Sae-Byeok approached the diner, the sweet homely smell now not as pleasant as it was before, and made her way inside. Dismissing the smile of the waitress who was clearing dishes off a nearby table, she managed to spot Ji-yeong in a booth overlooking the rocky side of the beach. She walked—perhaps a little too alarmingly fast—and sat down opposite of her.

"I need your help," she said shortly.

Ji-yeong laughed, but the seriousness Sae-Byeok was expressing quickly made her feel unnerved. "What is it?" she asked soberly.

"My brother is missing." Sae-Byeok fixed her gaze on the red surfaced table on which her discreetly shaking hands rested. If she looked at Ji-yeong now, she might very well fall apart.

"That's horrible, I'm so sorry—"

"I don't want your pity, I want your help," Sae-Byeok snapped suddenly. But she could already feel her features soften and her voice ebb as her defences crashed under all this flooded emotion. "Please, Ji-yeong."

A sullen silence hung over them for a suffocating moment, until at last Ji-yeong spoke with raw determination.

"Screw pancakes then. Let's go make sure your brother gets home safe."

***
Apologies for the delay on this part, I haven't felt very motivated to write lately.

This concept was based around an idea I kindly received from one of my readers, RilynnD , so a big thank you to them :)) And also to anyone else who messaged me regarding the last part I uploaded.

I'll hopefully have the next chapter up soon but until then, have a great/day night and remember to vote if you enjoyed enough <3