Chapter 03 - But did we ever grew up ?

But did we ever grew up ?

The starts of the season was a week away which meant it had been a week since Ariana had arrived to London. After many talks with Lady Bridgerton and Daphne about the upcoming events and several visits to the modiste, Ariana finally had an afternoon with nothing planned. Her and Anthony seemed to have retrieved the friendship they shared all these years ago. The change was notable in the Viscount who could be caught smiling for no apparent reasons and even running around the house after the girl. Even the staff was confused at the changes in the Viscount's personality. He talked more and brooded less. Violet Bridgerton was elated to see her son that way, knowing that Ariana's presence was the reason.

The whole family seemed taken by the young lady. Colin would talk to her about his travels for hours and she would indulge him with silly anecdotes of her owns. Benedict would asks her opinion on art and even show her some of his own pieces. Eloise seemed glued to her side, talking animatedly of women rights and such. Subjects that Ariana was always eager to debate. She even seemed to have time to play with Hyacinth and Gregory and listen to Francesca play the piano.

That afternoon however, Ariana was searching for the Viscount. She had wanted to do something since she had arrived and after this morning, it was finally possible. She found him in his study.

"I am bringing exquisite news Tony !"

The childhood nickname had once again, become usual between the two. Ariana being the only one allowed to call him "Tony". He had threatened Colin when he had dared to call him this way. However, even though Anthony was adamant that he was the only one able to call her "Ana", the nickname had spread to the whole family who would often use it just to spite Anthony.

"And what, pray tell, might this news be?"

"They waxed the stairs this morning!" She announced brightly, as if the news was supposed to bring a reaction out of him. Confused he asked her: "And why is that such a wonderful news?"

"They also waxed the railing." She said suggestively and Anthony instantly understood what she was hinting to.

"No. No. No. And did I say no?"

"Come on Tony, we used to do it all the time!" She whined, pouting at him with wide eyes. He shook his head at the sight wondering how one could be so annoying yet so adorable at the same time. He did not meet her eyes for he knew if he was to look at her pouting face, he would probably give her the world.

"Yes, when we were children Ariana, which we are not anymore."

"You sir, are no fun. It is alright, I guess I will do it alone then." She said and started to leave the study.

"No, no you won't, you will hurt yourself." He said standing up from his desk.

"Then you can come with me to make sure I do not." She answer with a smile that indicated she knew she had won. Anthony let out a sigh and reluctantly followed her to the stairs. She let her hand run the railing while walking, feeling the softness of the perfectly polished material, indicator that the moment was perfect. At the top of the stairs, Ariana turned to Anthony who was already watching her, clearly unimpressed.

"Go on then." She said mentioning the stairs.

"Why should I do it first?"

"Because you need to catch me, you know I will fall with my dress."

"That is one more reason to not do it."

"Come on! Just once! And then you can go back to your boring work."

With a sigh Anthony climbed on the railing. Ariana was smiling widely watching him and he could not help but smile too at his ridiculous situation and at to what he was about to do. He looked at her one last time before pushing himself and sliding down the railing all the way to the floor below. He caught himself on his feet and could not help but laugh at the feeling. Ariana smiled at the sight before sliding down the rail as well, laughing loudly as she did. He caught her in his arms, right before she touched the floor, preventing her from taking her feet in her dress. They were both laughing loudly at their antics.