Chapter 09 - High before the fall

High before the fall

That afternoon in London, two old friends were reconnecting. Sienna Rosso was visiting Genevieve Delacroix in her shop. The day was calm for business and the two friends took the time to share a drink in the boutique.

"I went to the opera the other day." Confessed the soprano. "I wanted to visit my friends there. The Bridgerton were in attendance."

Madam Delacroix watched her with wide eyes.

"Did you see him?"

She did not need to precise who she was talking about. After all, the whole ton knew of their affair.

"Yes. But he did not see me."

If it was possible, the eyes of the modiste widen even more.

"Did he ignore you?"

"No, he genuinely did not see me. He was looking at that woman, I must admit she was beautiful but it was as if everything around was not here. He was only seeing her."

"Well, it is certainly surprising from the man. I did not know he was courting anyone." Upon seeing the sad look on her friends face she could not help but ask.

"Are you not happy that he moved on? At least, he has let you go."

"Yes, of course. I should be content, I know. I am really, I just...I guess I will always wonder what could have been, had I accepted his offer."

Her friend gave her a sympathetic smile. The conversation was cut by the bell announcing a customer and the two women looked at the entrance only to see the unknown subject of their talk.

"Miss Primrose!" Exclaimed Genevieve.

"Good afternoon, Madam Delacroix." Upon seeing Sienna seated, she looked to see if she shop was closed. "I am sorry to interrupt, is the shop closed?"

"No, not at all. We were merely occupying the slow business. There is no problem. What can I do for you Miss Primrose?"

Sienna recognised immediately the woman and realised that her friend knew her. Miss Primrose was the name of the woman who seemingly had manage to catch the attention of the Viscount.

"Oh well, I am afraid I am in need of new ribbons.." She showed the modiste the ribbons in her hands, they were destroyed as if something had slashed through them.

"Goodness! What happened?" She asked taking the shredded material.

"Some careless move while fencing I am afraid." She lady gasped while Sienna smiled, amused.

"Why on earth would a lady like you be fencing?"

"Well, someone had to teach the Viscount Bridgerton how to. God knows his opinion of himself is entirely too high!"

The two ladies exchanged a look at the name and Ariana quickly apologised for speaking out of turn.

"I mean, sorry I should probably not have said that. Even though it does not make it less true."

"How come you fenced with the Viscount, Miss Primrose?" Asked Sienna. She was impressed by the supposedly proper lady sharing so freely her opinion of the man.

"We used to fence where we were children. The late Viscount was actually the one who taught me. Anthony always prided himself to be better than me and I had to remind him once more that it was not the case. Although I guess no one won yesterday." She shrugged. "He slashed through the ribbons but he did not cut me. However, his mother saw us and she scolded him for nearly an hour, it was hilarious. It was nothing really but it certainly lowered his ego and now I am in need of new ribbons!"