4. It's All in the Mind

Squealing, the two girls collided in a heavy embrace that Nat on looked with a small smirk before being tugged into it herself

Squealing, the two girls collided in a heavy embrace that Nat on looked with a small smirk before being tugged into it herself. All three of them giggled, Wanda's hold seemingly endless. Bucky grinned, leaning over y/n's shoulder to give Wanda a kiss on each cheek and a hello before stepping back out of the frenzy.

Behind them, Steve rolled his eyes with a hidden smile as he stood beside Vision - who was revieving a heavy handshake from Sam.

"It's good to see you, man." Sam said with soft glee and Vision returned his smile before replying.

"It is. Although we bare bad news." his voice was grave. Steve tore his eyes away from the sniggering girls to ask,

"Is it to do with what those cronies we're after?" Steve folded his arms across his chest as Bucky sidled up beside him, super-soldier hearing clearly having picked up on the topic of conversation. By y/n's now grim expression, Steve could tell she had, too.

"Unfortunately, yes. It appears that they were after the stone, Captain." Vision admitted, tapping a finger against the glowing yellow Stoke settled on his forehead, and Sam blew out a harsh breath.

"What does this mean?" Bucky's brows were pinched at his own question. Steve sighed and moved his hands to his hips.

"It means Thanos is coming. And this won't be the last we hear of him. And it certainly won't get any easier, either." Steve explained.

"Can Wanda remove the stone? Is there a way for you," Sam gestured to Vision, "and it to coexist apart from each other?" Vision shook his head slowly.

"Not that we know of. And Wanda may only be able to destroy the stone, not remove it."

The look on all their faces was grim.

12 hours earlier...
"What do you mean we're going to Scotland? What did Bruce tell you, Steve?" Y/n sighed, running a hand through her hair as Steve hung his head over his phone, thumb hovering over Bucky's name.

"Wanda and Vision are in trouble. Bruce is worried and thinks that the last time Vision was located before he disconnected himself from Tony's systems was Scotland. We need to go help them." Steve then pressed call, and ringing ensued.

"Steve? Is something wrong?" Y/n could hear Bucky's voice down the phone as she walked out the room.

Y/n huffed a breath as she grabbed a bag from their wardrobe and began shoving in all three of their gear: spare clothes, weapons, and anything essential they'd need.

By the time she'd finished, Steve had joined her, his strong arms wrapping over her shoulders comfortingly. He placed a sweet kiss to her cheek.

"I'm sorry that it's all gone to shit again." He mumbled and y/n hummed.

"It's not your fault." She sighed.

"I know. But I'm still sorry. You and Buck deserve a peaceful life." Y/n turned to face him with a frown.

"Don't you mean we? You deserve peace too." Y/n's brows knitted.

"Do I? Just seems like if I don't help, no one will." Steve admitted and y/n cupped his face in her hands.

"I think that it's not only your problem anymore, and that you deserve anything that me or Bucky deserve." Y/n pecked his lips.

"Damn right he does." Bucky rumbled from the doorway, arms folded over his chest. "We ready to head off then?" The supersoldier asked and both Steve and Y/n gave a nod in confirmation.

...
"So what's the plan?" Nat pondered, running a cloth over her batons as she spoke.

Steve crossed his arms, perched against the wall, and said, "Get Wanda and Vision the hell away from whoever's attacking them." Nat cocked her head to the side.

"Thank you for that insightful plan, Cap." Sam chirped from the cockpit.

"Shut it, birdbrain. I doubt you have a better plan." Bucky countered and Sam turned around to stick his tongue out at the ex-assassin.

"Enough bickering. I say that we take them by surprise. Survey the scene first, pinpoint our enemy and get Wanda and Vision to draw them away from a heavily populated space - let's say, to the train station." Y/n explained and Nat nodded.

"It'll be the dead of night when we arrive, so the station should be closed." Nat hummed.

"Exactly. Then we don't have to worry so much about civilian causality."

"Sounds good to me." Steve agreed.

...
"I can't believe I'm seeing you guys again." Rhodey exclaimed, a wide smile gracing his lips. Y/n grinned, Steve following suit as Rhodey embraced them all one-by-one.

"Unfortunately, we're not here for a friendly reunion." Nat frowned and Rhodey nodded.

"I figured as much. This spontaneous visit - as nice as it is - is presumably linked to the alien attacks, right?" All of them nodded grimly.

"Is Bruce here?" Steve piped up, just as the timid scientist made his way into the room.

"Hey, guys." Bruce greeted, although his strained, bright tone didn't quite reach his features.

"Hey, Bruce." Nat greeted.

"We need your help." Sam was blunt, but not unpleasant as he spoke.

"Anything you need." Bruce answered with a quick nod.

"We need separate the stone from Vision, to destroy it. I think they can coexist, without one-another." Wanda said and Vision frowned.

"It may just be easier to eliminate me and the stone-" the robot began, but Steve cut him off with a stern look.

"We don't trade lives, Vision." Y/n couldn't get over how much Steve had changed since she met him.

"I think we can do that." Bruce decided after a moment of silent contemplation. "But I don't think I could do it here. I'd need better technology."

Y/n and Bucky shared a look, clearly onto the same idea.

"Shuri could help. She's amazing. Better than Tony, arguably." Bucky chipped in, and y/n had to stop herself from visibly cringing at the mention of her dad's name. Instead, she agreed to Bucky's suggestion with a hum.

"That's an idea. How fast can we get there?" Rhodey asked and Sam seemed to count the distance in his head.

"I'd say under six hours." Sam finally concluded, and they all shared worried glances.

"I make it four." Nat chimed and their faces seemed to perk up a bit at her proposition.

"That settles it. We get Vision to Shuri, ASAP." Steve commanded in his Captain America voice - the one that always sent shivers down both y/n and Bucky's spines.

"Yessir!" Y/n mock-saluted him and Wanda began to giggle. But Steve's unimpressed stare shut both the girls up rather quickly.

"We leave in five. If you're not ready, you can find your own way there." Steve finished before striding out of the room.