Chapter Four - Apple Pie

Will left with the promise of letting me know what was happening regarding being home for dinner and I got on with my day.

Nanna Sherry was gone by the time I walked out of the kitchen with Will and Tabitha informed me she'd left as soon as Will was out of sight.  Apparently she had a lot of work to do to 'solve the case and catch the bad guy.'

I decided not to think too much about it and told myself she was a big girl who could look after herself.  I don't doubt she can look after herself; it's the other people she comes into contact with that I was concerned about.

I'd been in a situation a while back that involved a car ramming into a building and let's just say Nanna was driving and she doesn't hold back.  Plus she doesn't have a driver's licence.

She later sent me a text asking me to meet her at Val's after the shop closed so I could meet her client.

I wasn't so sure about meeting an elf in public, but I knew it was better than in private where no one would hear me scream.

The rest of the afternoon went smoothly and the closer it got to closing time, the more I wanted to sit down with a hot chocolate and watch a cheesy movie; preferably with Will.

I considered bailing on Nanna but my conscience wasn't having any part of that.  I couldn't let her down and I certainly couldn't leave her alone with a strange man who thought he was an elf. 

I sighed and wrapped my scarf around me as I walked with Bentley down to the cafe.  As it always was when a festival or occassion was on, it was busy. 

Nanna waved me over to a table under the shelter of the old verandah next to a space heater.  I was relieved she knew to sit outside since I had Bentley and also relieved she'd sat in a warm spot.

"Hi Pumpkin.  Thanks for coming.  My client messaged to say he's running late but he'll be here soon."  She said with a big grin.

She greeted Bentley with a pat on the head then leant forward in her seat like she was about to tell me the meaning of life.

"I'll tell you because you can be my partner."  She said quietly.

I wasn't sure I wanted to be her partner, but nodded anyway.

"Barney wants me to prove Santa didn't kill that guy."  She said with all seriousness.

I nodded, realised what she said and shook my head, "Wait.  What?  Santa?  Huh?"

She smiled but her enthusiasm didn't waiver, "Yeah.  That guy Will arrested in the street?  He's really Santa.  Barney hired me because he's one of his elves and they need him released.  He didn't kill that guy.  He's being framed."

I like to think I'm open minded and particularly about things like magic since I have some of my own, but my brain was having trouble processing what my Nanna had just said.

I wanted to ask her to repeat it but I was sure I'd heard her right.

"Um..."  I said, lost for words.

"I know right?  Unbelievable!  What an injustice!"  Nanna said.

"Er..."  I tried to pull myself together, "Wait.  Why would Santa be in Sunshine?  It's not Christmas.  Also, are you telling me Santa is real?"

Nanna shrugged, "Of course he is.  Don't be ridiculous.  And according to Barney he's here on vacation.  Everyone needs a break you know."

"Okay, assuming Barney is telling the truth, why would Santa chose Sunshine in winter?  Isn't it already snowy where he lives?  Wouldn't he want a change of season?  Some actual warmth?"