Chapter Seven - Frankinscence

Despite the craziness of the morning, once it was time to open the shop, things started to feel normal.  Well as normal as it can feel when you've discovered a body and then the body disappears.

After Dad left, Will asked me about the whole elf thing and I did my best to explain it but I'm not sure if I sounded credible or sounded like I'd snuck a little too much Christmas wine.

We talked it through several times but when neither of us came to a logical conclusion, we decided to just wait and see what happened and go from there.  I had a feeling Dad was going to interview Nanna or at least ask her about her client so I refrained from calling her until she contacted me.  And I knew when Dad had spoken to her she would either be on the phone or at my shop in no time.

Tabitha couldn't believe I'd found another body but was interested at the prospect of Santa being real, even if Will had arrested him which I still wasn't sure I believed.

Will said Nicholas Christian had said he was Santa but assured me he'd been told stranger things than that.  Even working in a small town, Will sees all sorts of things and has been told the strangest stories; it's no wonder he doesn't believe the far fetched ones.

When it came time to open, Will slipped a The Lamp apron over his head and tied it around his toned waist.

"You don't have to work."  I said when I saw him.

He smiled, "I know, but it's the best way to keep an eye out for you.  Plus, I look good in the apron."

I had to admit, he did wear that apron well.  I was idly wondering if Mum was right about making a calendar with him on the front when the door opened and a group of shoppers dispersed.

Dividing and conquering like we regularly do, Tabitha and I approached the customers and welcomed them to the store.

Will took his position behind the cash register and we all got to work.  A couple of locals and even visitors gave him a 'what are you doing in here?' look, but he's used to that and now we're engaged, I think the town is less confused when they see him doing something that isn't police work.

"But it's your day off.  How many of them do you get lately?"  I protested when there was a break in the crowd.

He smiled, "Your dad gave me the day off because we both want to know you're safe. The closer I am to you, the easier my job is."

I opened my mouth to respond when we were interrupted by the door when it swung open and the bell above it chimed and I smiled when I saw Sebastian Wainwright, Will's partner and Tabitha's ex-boyfreind.

Tabitha and Seb had an on again off relationship for quite a while before finally calling it quits.

It's a long story, but basically they're better off not together. It was tricky at first but I like to think they have found a happy medium. They still greet each other, show no hard feelings and although we've all been pretty busy, on the odd occasion they've ended up at the same social gathering, it hasn't felt tense.

They're both great people but they're quite different. Tabitha is more adventurous and Seb is your classic Australian gentleman. He's about our age, tall like Will with blonde hair and a slightly crooked nose. He will hold the door open, say hello to everyone he sees on the street and seems to enjoy the simple life. Tabitha is more interested in things like ghost tours.

Seb had been away training in the city and it was a relief to see him. We hadn't been given a date for his return and judging by Will's expression, he hadn't been expecting him back yet. I remembered dad's comment about Seb handling the workload and realised I'd completely skimmed over it and hadn't realised what that meant.

They greeted each other with a firm handshake and Seb grinned down at Wills apron, "Changed professions while I was gone?"

Will smiled, "Something like that."

Seb said hello to me and Tabitha then he and Will disappeared into the staff kitchen to talk. I considered following them but the shop was getting busy again and I knew they had to talk police stuff.

Seb didn't say anything about it, but I got the impression that he already knew something had happened at the shop that morning.

I glanced at Tabitha but she seemed to be fine.  I think she still cares about him and he still cares about her, but they know it can't work.  I do wonder what will happen when one of them finds someone else.  Sunshine isn't big enough that they will be able to keep it quiet.

She gave me a questioning look as she caught my glance and I silently gave her the 'are you okay?' look.  She smiled and nodded and returned to serving the next customer.

We were so busy that it was a while before I realised Will and Seb hadn't reemerged. 

The snow was falling again when I told Tabitha I was going out the back for a minute and wandered to the back door.  Will's coat was gone from the hook and Seb had been wearing his, so I realised they'd gone outside.

Without my coat I really didn't want to turn to an icicle, but I opened the back door and peered out.  I grunted as Bentley pushed his way past me and bounded out into the snow.

It wasn't deep, but enough for it to look white and beautiful.  I wondered if it would keep snowing that night.

Will and I travelled to the snow for a romantic getaway once, but it didn't go as planned and I'm not in a huge rush to head back there.  I know it wasn't the location that was the problem, but it still holds bad memories.

I was just deciding between getting my coat and going outside and going back into the shop to help Tabitha when the two detectives appeared from around the side of the house and walked up the steps to my back door.

It was cold and the afternoon shadows were long. 

I moved aside and let them walk inside, followed by a still overly excited Bentley.

They wiped their shoes on the mat just inside the door and Will looked at me with uncertainty.

"What is it?"  I asked Will.  Did you find Barney?"

Will shook his head, "No.  But I received a call from your dad while we were out there. They've found a homeless man matching his description up near the mountain.  He was stabbed."

I've heard plenty of stories about death and murder and been a part of several investigations, but something about this one was giving me the heebeegeebies.  How had Barney gone from being dead on my doorstep to up on the mountain?  And a homeless man?  Was it all just a trick? 

Will put his hand on my shoulder, pulling me away from my thoughts, "Charlie?  You okay?"

I nodded but wasn't sure what to say.  It was a shame that Barney was dead, but that wasn't what was bothering me the most.  What bothered me was the whole situation.

I suddenly had a thought, "Nanna?"  I asked Will with panic in my voice.

"She's fine.  She's at the bed and breakfast.  Your dad's there too."  Will said soothingly.

I nodded and tried to relax, "Okay.  Is she a suspect?"

Will looked at Seb for an answer.  Seb shrugged, "No idea sorry.  I've only been back in town since late last night.  Since he was her client we'll probably need to look at her whereabouts.  Come to think of it, why was he her client and how?"

I smiled and realised he hadn't heard about Nanna's detective agency yet.