Chapter Eight - Lemon Sugar

I smiled and clapped along with everyone else as the pageant proceeded past my shop.

Christmas music filled the cold night air and a few snowflakes were even starting to fall.

Most floats were either trailers pulled by tractors or old cars, but they were beautifully decorated and seemed to show off Sunshine in its best light.

Will smiled and put his arm around me as we waved to a few of the local kids who were excitedly singing Christmas carols and marvelling at the snow.

My breath sent clouds up into the night sky and the smell of hot chocolate made my stomach grumble.

I know a man died and I was genuinely sorry for that, but I was glad to have Will with me.

My mind has a tendency to race when something is happening, but despite hearing about the homeless man's death, I was determined not to think about it and just stop for a minute.

I was still a little creeped out, but Will's presence tends to calm me.

We watched in silence as other floats went past. Some advertised local businesses, some were decorated by the local church group and some were just bright and pretty and just looked nice.

As the pageant ended, Will and I walked hand in hand down Main Street.

I'd taken Bentley to my brother's farm for the night on Mikey's suggestion since there was going to be fireworks and as much as I love his company, it was nice to just walk with Will without being pulled along.

The hum of music and talking lessened as we walked away from where the largest groups congregated and headed towards the hot chocolate stand.

It was being run by a teenage girl I knew by sight only and although she was polite enough, she was also extremely quiet and I hoped I didn't make any sudden movements to startle her.

I was surprised when Will handed over the money and said, "Thanks Gretta. Have a great night."

I stared at him as he handed me my hot chocolate.

I made some hand signals at him asking how he knew her and J didn't but eventually his shoulders dropped and he laughed "I don't have a clue what that means."

I faked indignation as we walked away, "I thought you guys were meant to know all those hand signals?"

"Firstly, I'm not a marine, and secondly, I'm pretty sure what you did would pass for the Macarena more than it would pass as any sort of signing." He said with a laugh. "Gretta is the daughter of one of the new constables. She and her mum run the hot chocolate stall. She brought some into work yesterday. It was amazing."

I smiled up at him as we wandered along Main Street. Despite all that was going on, he looked relaxed and happy.

He caught me looking at him, "What?"

I shrugged, "Nothing. I was just thinking how we really need a holiday."

He paused and turned to me, snow falling gently around us, "How about a honeymoon?"

I was surprised, but definitely not against the idea. Sunshine might be a little town, but it sure is busy and time gets away from you before you know it.

"Okay. But I have a couple of conditions." I said, trying not to smile.

"Okay."

"Not just a day or two off. I need days. Weeks maybe." My heart was beating a little harder than I'd expected and I realised I really did want to get married sooner rather than later.