Chapter Three: Attempt

"Kida, no..." Milo started to say, putting his hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off.

"My mind has been made up. Since you have taken responsibility for her then she will reside with you until I make other arrangements." Kida said, her attention directed at Natala.

"As you wish my Queen." She answered, her face remaining expressionless.

"Leave us." Kida commanded, and with that the guards, Natala, Malakas, and a very stunned Helga receeded from the room...

The rest of the day Helga remained in the room she had come to call hers, this is what she was left with? To be some slave girl? Not on your life.

She slipped off her pallet. Night had fallen and she had been tossing and turning, trying to cover her options. For once she was glad she no longer had shoes, as her bare feet padded softly across the stone floor.

Helga pushed the blanket back, and slipped out, the night air was cool, as she stepped outside the house. Possibly because the little house was set right up near a river.

Quickly she began to follow the water way, she had to get out of here, now! Helga didn't go very far before a hand seemed to materialize out of no where, stopping on her shoulder and causing her to spin around with a gasp.

The figure stepped out of the shadows, the face looking her over slowly, solemnly, as though he was simply observing her.

"I believed you would try to flee this night." Malakas stated, removing his hand from her shoulder slowly.

"What? How..." She sputtered, not knowing how she had been caught. He shrugged simply.

"It is a natural instinct... Perhaps if it were another way I would help you... But you see, I cannot." Malakas commented. Helga looked puzzled.

"What are you talking about?" She asked, her eyes narrowing.

"My mother has taken responsibility for you." He answered, as though that explained everything.

"So?" Helga persisited, her arms moving to rub her shoulders from the chill that sprung up.

"If you are to flee, or do any ill against the city, my mother will take the responsibility, take the punishment meant for you." He answered, his voice never changing from that calm timbre. but his face seemed tight. He sat down at this, leaning against a fallen statue and staring out over the water. The silence settling between the two of them.

Helga was shocked, she hadn't realized that this woman, this stranger had quite literally put her own life one the line. For her. She sighed, copying Malakas's actions and leaning against the stone, her eyes staring without seeing, at the water.

"You have honor, not matter what they say." Malakas said suddenly, causing Helga to turn her head in his direction, eyebrows raised.

"What makes you say that?" She asked, almost defensively.

"You're still standing here."

"I could easily be waiting for you to turn your back."

"No, you are trained in fighting, you wont leave, because of my mother's vow." He answered with surety, still looking away from her. Helga huffed in an annoyed fashion, crossing her arms tightly and looking away, as much as she wanted to deny it, he was right. For all her cold exterior, she did have a code of honor. And after Natala had all but saved her life, Helga knew she owed her that much.

"Sit." Malakas offered, his voice causing Helga to turn to him again. Now he was actually sitting on the lowest stone. His expression almost pleasent. She hesitated for a moment before sitting down next to him, the two just looking at the flowing water.

"So what now?" Helga asked, turned to head to study the Atlantian next to her. Malakas grunted, making a shrugging motion before answering.

"Tomorrow you will go to the queen, and then perhaps, with time, they will forgive your mistakes." He said slowly, finally turning to meet her gaze.

Helga frowned, her head turning away slightly, perhaps sensing her anger at this subject Malakas suddenly smiled, his hand reaching out to play with a stray lock of her blonde hair.

"You will make the other women jealous arketá éna, with your hair of spun gold." He commented, his tone almost teasing. The very beginnings of a smile coming to her face, but then she seemed to realize where she was showing emotion and turned away.

"Don't look away, it is good to smile once in awhile." Malakas said, dropping the piece of hair to tilt his head to meet her eyes.

"And what do I have to smile about?" Helga asked, her voice bitter.

"You have life. That is always a great thing." He answered solemnly.

"A life of what? Forever being the odd one out? The one they all look down on?" She snapped, tossing a small chunk of rock into the water, her eyes hard as she watched the ripples move about before disappearing altogether.

"It will not always be that way arketa ena." Malakas answered, his voice confident.

"How can you be so sure?" Helga asked, turning again so she was looking at him.

"You are like us, perhaps not outward, but inside, yes, you are very much like us." He answered with a nod of his head. Helga huffed and rolled her eyes, standing up she looked back at him as he copied her motions.

Helga rubbed her arms, a wind picking up and bringing goosebumps to her skin, Malakas saw this and pulled the thin shawl from his own shoulders and placed it gently around her own.

She looked up, surprised at the action, ad inclined her head slightly in acknowledgement.

"So... Are you willing to try this new life?" Malaka's asked, cocking his head to the side and taking a step onto the path towards his home.

"I'll make attempts to." Helga replied simply tilting her head upwards slightly in a show of pride.

"That is all a reasonable man can ask for." The Atlantian answered, with a small smile.

"Are you a reasonable man Malakas?" Helga couldn't help but ask, her tone almost teasing. He chuckled, motioning her forward while he thought.

"Some of the time arketa ena, some of the time."