Chapter Five: Connections

Kida sent Helga home later that evening, apparently Helga was to stay with Natala and her two children until her duties would call her away permenatly to the queen's side.

When she walked in the door she found Natala sitting hunched on a low stool, she was spinning cloth, and seemed to be alone in the house.

"Greetings child." She called over her shoulder, seeming to know it was Helga just by her step on the door. The young woman made her way over and crouched down next to the older woman, simply staring into the fire.

"You should not be putting such stress on your leg... Come, sit." Natala commanded gently, pointing to a free stool just a few steps away from her.  Helga paused, seeming to debate with herself whether or not she would listen. Finally she moved over and seated herself on the stool, still maintaining her silence.

"Your day, how was it?" Natala asked, her hands never stalling from her work.

"Long." Was the only response she got, not exactly meant to be mean, just simply a quiet person trying to keep that silence. Natala simply nodded her head, she finally finished the strip she was working on before she turned to face Helga fully.

"Your face." She said simply, though there was a trace of concern in her voice. Helga's hand reached up automatically to skim the area.

"I know." She answered with something similar to a sigh.

"What happened Child?" She asked, her wrinkled hands coming out to turn the younger woman's face towards the firelight so she could see better.

"Nothing." Was all she would say, and the Atlantian did not pursue the subject, seeing the guarded look in her face.

"Do you wish it healed?" Natala offered next, looking sideways at the woman. Helga shook her head, her arms coming to wrap around herself.

"As you wish then." The old woman got up and moved towards the iron pot that hung against the fire.

"Here, eat, you need nourishment." She ordered gently, pressing a warm bowl into Helga's hands, it contained a sort of stew. Helga took the eating  utensil from Natala's outstretched hand.

She turned her head, two voices coming towards the hut, and it only took her a moment to gather who's voices they were. Natala made no comment as the blonde woman moved from her seat, to stand back in the corner, eating the food she was given in silence.  A moment later the door opened, and Vibora and Malakas walked in, apparently having gone fishing.

They spoke in their native tounge with animated faces, as they placed their day's bounty on the side table for use later.

Vibora was the first to notice Helga in the corner, and her face hardened quickly, giving it a sharp look, Helga simply returned the glare, letting her expression warn the other to leave her be. Malakas sensed his sister's change in mood and turned to look, but unlike her, his face lit up with a warm smile, and he nodded his head in greeting. Helga shrugged and turned her attention back to her food, avoiding looking him in the face.

The three people that made up the small family sat at their table, occasionally Natala would try to turn the conversation in english so Helga would at least have an idea what they were speaking of. But Vibora would have none of it, constantly answering and speaking in her fast tounge. Her brother following along simply because that was what she was speaking.

Finally Helga had heard enough and stood up, she walked out of the house, it took all of her willpower not ot slam the door behind her. She walked to the river, sitting down on one of the fallen boulders.