Coffee Tables, Surprisingly, Are Not Actually Supposed to be Covered in Blood

Whumptober 2021- day thirteen
That's gonna leave a mark
'This is gonna suck', burns, cauterisation

Dick left someone behind on Infinity Island and he's not going home till he can bring them with him. He ends up a little involved with a local mob while he plans. Barbara always used to say he was easy to love, but he didn't realise that was something that would put him under a knife.

This got away from me, like...
it was supposed to be simple, and then I needed to come up with a name for Nicky and as soon s I called him that all of a sudden there was a plot? and like... actual character to the story? and I just kept on trying to get back on track but I started getting in the groove so I just succumbed to the fact that this was going to be rushed. blame it on Nicky.

This is part of my absent heroes AU, it's a sequel to 'welcome to the jungle, watch it bring you to your knees'.

In Dick's defence, he hadn't meant to piss off the local gang.

He'd spent a good few months on Infinity Island and left as soon as the red flags got too bright. Ra's only wanted him there because he was Bruce's ward, which was unsurprising, but Dick got a feeling that the longer he stayed there the less likely it'd be that he could leave.

As it was he'd had to dodge a few arrows on the way out.

He'd been fleeing too early, though, because as he left he found out who Thalia's son was. Or rather, who the kid's father was.

It was too late for him to go back and bring the kid with him, Ra's would put him under lock and key if he got him again. Dick wasn't entirely sure what Ra's wanted, but most likely he hoped to use Dick against Bruce.

But Dick refused to move on. He needed to get back onto the island and break Damian out.

Infinity Island was smack in the Caribbean sea, so Dick laid low in the Dominican Republic. It was a good chance for him to brush up on his Spanish.

He was still under the radar, but he made sure to call home as soon as he could. His family hadn't heard from him in a handful of months, much longer and he might end up labelled a missing person and he couldn't deal with that right now. It was a long conversation and he had to manoeuvre out of several questions, but by the end of it, he was pretty sure he'd curbed any suspicion from everyone except Alfred and Bruce.

One night he broke up a knife fight, and he walked the kid he'd saved home. the kid's parents took one look at him and knew he was from out of town.

Dick didn't want to dip into the account Bruce had for him. he'd tried his best for all of his travel, using Bruce's trust fund just for his studies and some weekly expenses so if Bruce looked at it he'd think all was fine. Getting a job of some description was a good way to get a better look into the community he was in.

One of the men in the household gave him an appraising eye, looking him up and down, and told him about a bar that wasn't just a bar. He gave him a wink as he told him, and Dick tried not to think about fight club.

And to be honest, he wanted to make sure he didn't get rusty on anything he'd learned from the league of assassins.

He was two weeks in to his stay in the Dominican Republic, and he had a strong plan as to how he could get Damian out. He didn't want to, but it was looking like he may have to use the local mob to do it. even if it was just a way to get some gear and transport.

Fighting was a good way to clear his head, and he was on an unbeatable streak. He'd had three rounds for the night and he was ready to call it till the next time.