The Mind is a Complex and Many-Layered Thing.

Thankfully for Cordelia, lunch and Potions were quiet and uneventful affairs, just as breakfast had been. It wasn't until James, Sirius and Cordelia found themselves on their way to Divination when things started to become hectic once again.

The trio were making haste to get to their class on time when they came across a Slytherin and Ravenclaw cornering a slightly smaller Ravenclaw who looked to be very frightened. James and Sirius immediately tore over to the students and started questioning what the problem was. Cordelia hurried over behind them after pausing in her shock. 

"This is none of your concern, Potter, Black. You should learn to keep yourself out of matters that don't involve you." The Slytherin snarled at the pair who were only growing angrier.

"What do you think Padfoot, you think that two seventh years ganging up on a fifth year is fair? That we should just walk past them and leave the poor kid to whatever threats or nasty hexes these blokes have planned?" James said in a tone that Cordelia had never heard him use before.

"No Prongs, I think it is only fair that someone comes to offset the unfair disadvantage. If you two gits want to threaten someone it would be smart to do it somewhere other than the middle of a corridor- but alas you both are some of the most brainless gits i've ever seen so its no surprise to me you were so stupid. Tell me, does it hurt when you think?" Sirius gibed at the now very angry seventh years.

The fifth year had taken this moment to slowly step to the left and work his way out of the corner. As the two older boys were facing Sirius and James, the fifth year decided to get out of there while he had the chance to and started retreating up the corridor. 

"Listen here you two blood traitors, you would do well to turn around now while you still have the chance." The Ravenclaw said with a very disgusting look on his face. Privately, Cordelia thought he looked constipated.

"Yeah? Try us then if your such a threat because right now I'm not seeing anything to be threatened by." James said cooly with a raised eyebrow.

Oh no. Cordelia really didn't have time to watch the four of them fight. She also was sick of standing behind the two taller boys like a child. So, when the Slytherin raised his wand, Cordelia acted on instinct and pushed James and Sirius out of her way.

"Impedimenta!" Cordelia raised her wand quicker than she thought she could and casted the spell on the pair of seventh years before either of them could utter a syllable of their own spell.

Standing calmly between James and Sirius Cordelia pocketed her wand and looked at the boys who looked shocked.

"Well, come on you two, we have divination and I was actually looking forward to that class." Cordelia started walking down the corridor past the two seventh years.

James and Sirius looked at each other and then jogged to catch up with Cordelia.

"Della! That was amazing!" Sirius exclaimed with a large grin on his face.

"I knew we liked you for a reason, Della. Thanks for having our backs, even though we could have handled it." James said with a smile and a knowing in his eyes that Cordelia ignored.

"It was only Impedimenta, thats not even an impressive jinx-"

"It doesn't matter! They didn't even know you were there because you were directly behind us and then you caught them completely off guard- the look on their faces was priceless!" Sirius said joyfully. 

"Well I'm glad you approve." Cordelia said sarcastically while rolling her eyes.

The trio continued the rest of their walk to the divination classroom and upon entry it was clear that they were indeed late.