𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶-𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢

[trigger warning: death, panic attack]

📍 Ealdor

June, 504 AD

Two nights later, the people of Ealdor gathered inside the town hall at Arthur's request once more. He was taking longer than usual to get there, and the villagers were starting to get worked up – some even claimed that he had abandoned us! So I had an idea – albeit a stupid one – but it would buy the Prince some time.

"Sons of Ealdor, I am Astraea Wallace!" I exclaimed as I stood up on the table, instantly seeing the 'oh crap' look on Merlin's face. "Astra, what are you doing?" Gwen asked through gritted teeth.

I waved the girl off with a wink and continued to quote one of my favourite movies. "I've heard Kanen kills men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the Ealdor...ians with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse. I am Astraea Wallace, and I see a whole army of my adoptive countrymen here in defiance of tyranny. You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What would you do with that freedom? Will you fight?"

"That is why we are here..." a dark-skinned man called out with a confused frown. All faces around me mirrored his. 

I grinned and kept talking. "Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take..."

The people shared glances as I paused for dramatic effect. 

"Our freedom!" I yelled, raising my fist in the air just as Arthur came into the room. No one paid attention to him, for the room had already erupted in cheers and claps, making me burst out laughing in disbelief. 

The Prince weaved through the enthusiastic villagers as he made his way towards me, stopping in front of the table where I stood. "What did you do?" he asked, looking up at me with an amused grin. "You were taking too long and they were getting antsy, so I improvised," I replied with a shrug. Arthur chuckled and chivalrously helped me get off the table before moving to the centre of the room, calling for the people's attention once again.

"Tomorrow morning, the women and children should gather what belongings they can carry and go to the woods," he began in his authoritative voice. "We are not going anywhere!" Gwen opposed him. I knew that her and Morgana were set on allowing the women to fight, too, so I moved to stand next to Arthur.

"All right. Women who do not have children under the age of fifteen can stay and fight if they wish to. The women who do have young children– I'm sorry, but if things go wrong, your children can't be left without a mother and a father," I said as a chill ran down my spine, and made eye-contact with Gwen. The Prince nodded down at me with a grin and the two girls seemed satisfied by my proposal.