11 - Talk

Perhaps Rahis should have been getting worried with how comfortable and familiar he's been getting with the Princes, but strange occurrences were happening so  often around them that he forgot that concern. Both brothers always seemed to enjoy confessing feelings or complaining to him and that was unbelievable to the young servant.

This is all he could think about as Prince Joelin was ranting once more about his problems to the servant. Surprisingly, this time his words weren't of Princess Aylissa, as his father had done something to upset him.

"And now I have to ask King Maurin for his stupid blessing when he's one of the ones to force me into this! I can't believe father would make me do this! I don't want to marry her!" Rahis just nodded, not feeling like adding his two cents as he's been giving it out a lot lately. "And to add to that! I can't just walk up out of the blue to ask him, I must get to know him first and present myself as a proper suitor." His tone was mocking before it switched back to angry. "So now Rodier has to give me freaking lessons on how to act with royalty even though I've been learning about that since before I could walk!"

"I'm sorry, that sounds terrible." Rahis said, sympathy taking over whatever emotions he was feeling before, something that's been helping quite a lot lately and has been tiring him out beyond belief.

Prince Joelin just sighed and sat down on his bed, stopping his pacing. His eyes landed on a book on his nightstand. "Oh, we haven't had a lesson in a while. Come, I'll give one to you now."

Rahis shook his head even though the prince wasn't looking. "Oh, feel no need to try to teach me now. You have no obligation to and have taught me more than I can ever repay you for."

"Don't be ridiculous, I like doing this." Prince Joelin said. "It distracts and relaxes me, both of which would be welcome right about now. If I think of this any longer my head may just explode."

"I'd rather that not happen." Rahis said as he relented and sat beside him, smiling as Prince Joelin laid the book across their laps.

"Me too."

"Although it would be magnificent. I've never seen a head explode, much less a prince's."

"Ah, yes, it would be magnificent. Too bad I wouldn't be around to see it." They both laughed before Prince Joelin turned his attention back towards the book and started reading, Rahis soaking up every word.

Their lesson ended up getting cut short as Prince Joelin was summoned into the throne room to speak with his father, presumably about the blessing he was expected to receive. This left Rahis to start cleaning the room. Shortly after he started, Camayla came in and started helping. Due to the fact that most of his mind seemed to be filled with princes and their problems recently, when Camayla suddenly started interrogated him the other day about the princes, he had nearly come to yelling at her in defense and shock. This led to awkward silence as many things have happened and they felt to strange to speak.

Finally breaking the silence, Rahis spoke up as he scrubbed the floor. "Do you think he'll actually marry her?"

Without needing specifications, Camayla answered. "Of course he will. Prince Joelin will no doubt suck it up and do his duty. He's a good kid." This reminded Rahis of how young Prince Joelin was. Although he spent so much time with him, he found himself thinking of him as more his age with how he held himself and spoke, not to mention the problems he was facing, yet he was a few years younger. Prince Bradlan was probably around Rahis' age, but he never asked anyone to clarify. He knew for a fact that he was much older than little Princess Sabrasia and that Prince Rodier was older than him, but he wasn't aware by exactly how much for either.

"I fear he might, but I hope he doesn't. I haven't known him very long, but I want him to be happy more than anything, you know?"

Camayla nodded. "He's a sweet boy, brings out the protective big sister side of me."

Rahis smiled. He knew Camayla was the oldest of her family and did have a few younger brothers. "I wouldn't say he's like a brother."

"What would you say he's like then?"

Rahis thought about it. "I really don't know, but I know I don't think of him as a brother."

"Really? You spend the most time with him than anybody, even Alland, I'd think that'd bring out the brotherly side out of anyone." Rahis shrugged, confused now as to his own feelings. "With how your around him all the time, you probably think of him as an actual friend." Camayla said, as if realizing everything and putting together the pieces. "You can't be friends with the prince because you're just a servant, that must be why you aren't telling me! Oh, I forgive you and will drop the subject." She said quickly. Rahis blinked before doing as their conversation did and shoving the topic away from his mind. "So, you've been spending quite a bit of time with Prince Bradlan lately." She brought up cautiously, Rahis steeled himself to keep it light and not somehow turn to argument.

"Why do you ask?"

"Oh, it's the talk of the castle lately."

"The castle!"

"Well, just the servants at least. I doubt the King would take much interest in one of his sons talking to a servant, but we certainly do." She said, clearing his worry. Rahis couldn't have the King see how cozy he was getting with his sons, it showed a clear path to imprisonment or possibly death. "Why have you been doing that?"

"Well it's not like I have much of a choice." Camayla nodded, seeing as that made sense. Rahis could have, and probably should have stopped there, but he felt the need to defend the person he shared a strange friendship with. "He's actually pretty friendly. It's funny, between the two of them Prince Bradlan seems the most human and when I talk with him it's like I'm not speaking to royalty. He can be a bit much at times, but he always has a genuine feeling about him."

Camayla looked at him wide-eyed. "Careful, sounds like you're starting to like him."

Remembering the horrible things that he'd done to Camayla and probably almost every female servant in the castle, Rahis immediately felt bad. "Oh, no I don't. Just trying to make the best of a bad situation." He pushed down the guilt pooling in his chest. It wasn't like that at all, he did consider Prince Bradlan a friend.