14 - Questions

It was just after dinner when Rahis finally entered Joelin's room, flushed and clothes on haphazardly. "Where have you been? Camayla had to prepare this nearly all by herself." Make no mistake, Joelin was unusually nice and understanding, but when it came to making other people's lives more difficult, especially if he is fond of them, then he gets a little mad.

Despite the harsh tone, Rahis still kept the small secret smile on his face that he wore when walking in and his posture didn't fall in the slightest. "I apologize, your grace, I got caught up in something and lost track of time. It won't happen again." He said, glancing at Camayla too to hopefully convey his apology, although that was difficult considering how his expression didn't fade from what it was.

"It better not." Joelin relented, seeing how he had also included Camayla in his apology, even if he doubted it's sincerity. "Now, please tell us of what caught your attention so thoroughly."

Rahis turned red at that, subconsciously bringing up a hand to rub the back of his neck. "I would rather not say, I fear it would bore you. What you've done with your day is undoubtedly much more exciting."

Joelin narrowed his eyes in suspicion at his obvious avoidance of the topic, but shrugged it away. "Today I had to inform my father of some recent developments of my engagement. He had... mixed emotions." He had woke up that day happy with the new thought that the conditions King Maurin had set might put his father off the engagement. However, although his happiness had turned to anger while he told him of what happened during the ride, he still agreed to it due to the conditions now being reasonable and the marriage so beneficial. Joelin wished that he could go back in time and not try to talk King Maurin into lessening what he said. Although there was a chance that the benefits to the kingdom would outweigh even that.

"Good developments?"

Joelin shrugged, noticing that Rahis was being a lot more bold. Normally he'd only start really speaking when spoken to while it was just him and Joelin in the room, but now there was a very shocked Camayla and Alland watching the interaction. Joelin wasn't upset, it was more entertaining, although this change in attitude was quite a puzzle. "Not good for me but good for developing the engagement further."

"You don't seem nearly as upset as you were."

Joelin was shocked that he was right. Just before he walked in he was acting bitter and angry towards his other servants, he'd have to apologize later, but Rahis distracted him enough away from his emotions and concerns. "I guess I'm not very upset at the moment."

"Would you like your bath now?"

Joelin nodded as he took notice of how dirty he felt after spending most of the day working with a good trainer on his sword techniques, something he had to do quite often as he wasn't nearly as sufficient as Rodier or even Bradlan. He was also looking forward into prying more into what had gotten into Rahis.

It took a while for them to get the bath ready, but after that it wasn't long before Joelin was alone in the room with Rahis.

"You ready to tell me what happened to you now?" Joelin asked once he was in the comfortably hot water.

Rahis was behind him, so Joelin didn't get to see him shrug. "I met someone and we talked." ... among other things.

"I thought you met most of the other servants already."

"I thought so too, but it's a big castle."

Joelin looked up as he thought about it. "I guess it is. I can see how that could confuse somebody new here, but I've lived in here for my whole life."

Rahis hummed in understanding. "You were lucky."

"Not really. Pressures and responsibilities of the crown made making family ties very hard. After I could somewhat take care of myself mom's duties as a mother to me got pushed more toward the side."

"Oh."

Joelin laughed lightly and shook his head, startling Rahis' hands that were washing his hair. "I shouldn't complain, your situation must've been much worse."

"We were living with next to no money at all. Every meal was tiny and thrown together, my parents leaving us often to go try to find any bit of work. But when it came down to it, I grew up learning that family was the most important thing and mine was so close together. Our situations really can't be compared because they're too different."

Joelin frowned. "But they shouldn't be. Nobody should have to live without financial security." He angled his body so he could look at Rahis. "I'm sorry." He said before turning back around, the air heavy. So heavy that Joelin felt the need to lighten it before long. "Family is very important, I'd like to teach my kids that family is the most important thing, like you learned." He thought about having kids, the very notion bringing a smile to his face, which quickly fell when he thought of who their mother was sure to be. "Is that something you'll teach as well?"

"I'd like to." Rahis answered before thinking of it. He knew he couldn't say this without being questioned, but he was beginning to doubt that he'd ever have kids. Even though he was his family's only son and as the only son would be expected to carry on the family name, something had changed. Maybe a wife wouldn't be the proper thing to suit him. "It's important to learn and to have security in your family."

Joelin nodded. "Something I wish I had."

"I'm sure you do."

"My father, mother, and oldest brother's first priority is the kingdom, which I can't really complain about since it absolutely has to be considering they have to rule it. But Bradlan is too quick to judge and accuse, and I fear he may turn against me in many situations. Sabrasia I can't tell yet, but I hope she is to grow into a woman I can find a real family member in."

"Yes, hopefully."