LTA: People who take (competitive) games too seriously

Im back with another LTAS, I wanted to try and bring it back into routine of writing and getting my thoughts out on random topics. 

I don't know how long this will be but its going to be more of just me speaking my mind without much of a structure. So lets begin. 

I think there's an unwritten rule or a social mentality that if you're playing games (especially competitive games) you need to take it seriously and be hardcore. For example, the joy of multiplayer games comes from being better than anyone else, proving once and for all that you're number one. Why else would people play competitive games unless its for winning?

They may be correct on certain aspects of this mentality but generally I think its kind of toxic. 

The idea for this topic had come around from the accumulation of my personal observations and conversations I've had with other people over several years. 
I think it officially began back in 2019 when I use to play DMC5 and Kingdom Hearts 3. I remember a conversation with my older cousin talking about games. There were lots of questions asked:

What is the purpose of playing single player games?
What joy do I get from playing them?
 and...
What is a game that I am incredibly/consistently good at, specifically multiplayer/competitive games? as in, a game I can beat anyone at, a game where I'm a king.

The last one stuck with me the most because again, there's a mentality that you should be great at something. 

And I thought to myself and realized, there isn't any multiplayer game where Im consistently good at. The consistency of my playstyle can go from being amazing to utter trash between every match. So there's never a game where Im always good or always bad, but I didn't particularly care either. 

To my cousins, they take competitive multiplayer games very seriously, they want to win and they want to get the most kills/damage etc. 

But if I were to make a statement now, I would say this. 

I don't like being better than others, I strive to be better than myself.

I think the games that appeal to me the most are hack n slash games like DMC and platformer games like Ghostrunner, Mirror's edge and Mario. All of which are games that incentivize self-improvement. 

But that doesn't mean that there arent people who take platformer and hacknslash games seriously too, but id say the mentality is more prevalent in competititive games. 

I dont dislike multiplayer/competitive games either, in fact, I love them but for the same reason I love games like DMC and Ghostrunner. 
Instead of being better than others, I simply try to be better than myself and try to have fun. 

People who take games serious are often the people who are the most toxic, the ones who will break their monitors and keyboards because things weren't going their way. Players who take seriously and pro players are different, because for pro players, its their job. For normal gamers, it should be a hobby, a part-time to enjoy yourself. 

I think in all of my years of gaming, I've always been more casual than competitive gamer. 
Many would consider Halo 5 multiplayer to have a steep learning curve and theyre right but I always viewed as a challenge to make myself a better player in the game.
COD: Black Ops in 2010 was my first introduction into multiplayer. I remember how much the multiplayer changed my perspective but I was never a competitive player. Sure, its nice to rack up kills and get wins but the most important thing for me was that I was having fun. 

Majority of my time spent on black ops was playing against bots in multiplayer, because buying monthly subscription of xbox live was rare and I rarely got to play online. I spent just as much time playing against bots as I did playing multiplayer but it didnt matter whether it was real players or bots because I was having fun. 

I think  there's also a mentality among the gaming community that PvE games or playing against bots is not rewarding and the kills are meaningless.
I say fuck that, who are they to invalidate my enjoyment just because its not against real players? 

I think people have forgotten that games should be first and foremost, fun.

Its fine to be competitive with friends and rivals but taking it seriously is just detrimental to your own enjoyment.

Thats all I wanted to say!

Lemme know what you think of people who take games too seriously in the comments!

Cya!