CHAPTER 31: THE PINK DRESS

WHEN THE ELEVATOR DOOR FINALLY SLIDES OPEN, THE PARTY IS IN FULL SWING. For a Stark party, it's relatively small— not that that's saying much. It looks like it's mostly just the avengers (minus Thor, of course) and around 30 other people. They might even be friends of the others'.

     Clint is the first to notice her.

     "Hey!" he greets, grinning. "Look who finally decided to join us!" The group, sitting around a table, turn to look at her.

     "Wow," Tony comments, his eyebrows raising, "which clone am I looking at, exactly? Did someone spike the punch? Cause there is no way that's the real Olivia Banner." She rolls her eyes.

      "It's a dress, Tony," she replies sarcastically. "I'm at a party. What, did you expect me to show up in my pajamas?" Indeed, she is wearing a dress; a cute, pastel pink, floral print one with a square neckline and loose sleeves that reach her elbows.

     "Okay, the dress is one thing, but flowers?" Tony wonders doubtfully. "Really? From you?" Pepper smacks his arm.

      "Ignore him," she scoffs, offering Olivia a smile. "You look fantastic." Olivia nods emphatically, gesturing to Pepper as she sits down next to Bruce.

     "See? Pepper's nice. Why can't you be nice like Pepper?" she complains to Tony. He shrugs.

     "Don't want to inflate your ego too much," he quips. "You might get a big head." Olivia laughs.

     "Oh yeah, I guess you're the expert on that one," she taunts in rebuttal. "Your head's so big it's a wonder how it stays on your shoulders." The group collectively laughs.

     "Ooh, got ya there Stark," Steve chuckles, as Tony does his best to fake offense.

     "In my own home," he mutters, shaking his head.

     "Speaking of, how was the move back into your apartment?" Natasha prompts, looking to Olivia. She shrugs, leaning back to rest a little against the couch.

     "It was fine, I guess. Got everything out of the boxes," she hums. "Probably would've taken longer if Bruce wasn't helping." Bruce shifts a little, with an awkward smile.

     "There wasn't much to unpack," he denies, glancing at his sister. She nods, standing.

     "I'm gonna grab a drink," she sighs, running a hand through her hair. As she turns away, Bruce leans forward a little.

     "Uh, hold on," he interrupts. She stops and turns to look at him, praying there's no repeat of last time. "Could you maybe... grab me a can of Coke while you're over there? Please?"

     She grins.

     "Yeah, sure," she agrees readily, turning away again to head to the bar.

     "Oh, hey, can I get one too?" Tony calls after her.

     "Get it yourself, Stark," she calls back with a grin, knowing she's going to do it anyways.

***

     "Come on, Steve!" Olivia pleads, grinning. Her third glass of beer hangs loosely from her left hand, and she awkwardly clasps her fingers together around it in a begging motion. "Just one? I'll even go first! Dad used to tell some really bad ones."

     Steve tilts his head reluctantly, but nods.

     "Fine, fine," he relents. "You first, then." The group collectively cheers, and Olivia starts to think, still grinning.