prologue

"Seriously Apu? Firsey?" Antara asked her best friend who was sitting on the couch with a tub of ice cream in front of her and watching her favorite movie for the nth time

"What? Its my weekly tradition. 3 idiots and a tub of ice cream every weekend. Now shut up, Rancho is about confess in front of Pia's sister." Aparna said, focusing her attention back to the movie as her best friend sighed in exasperation before going to the kitchen. She knew it was no use arguing with her.

"I still can't believe you are going to be married in the next three months. By the way you behave, I would have thought that you are still a teenager." She said, though she was sure that her best friend hadn't heard even a single word. She was too engrossed in the movie to pay attention to what she was saying.

"Poor Raju." Aparna commented instead, her mind conveniently blocking her best friends constant complaints about her late night movie-watching.

Aparna loved watching movies on weekends. Weekends were her 'me-time' and what other way to spend it than watching her all time favorite movie while eating her all time favorite food.

She was quite a busy woman. Working at Aditya Automobiles Ltd. as an automotive graphic designer, she spent most of her weekdays in the office. Every Saturday, she went to the orphanage near her house and taught arts and crafts to the kids there. She loved kids and it was a blessing in disguise when the opportunity was offered to her. 

The caller tune of her phone was what finally pulled her concentration out of the movie. 

Clicking her tongue in annoyance, she accepted the call from the unknown number. 

"Hello. Is this Aparna Sawant?" The woman on the other end of the call asked.

"Yes, I am Aparna. Who is this?" She asked, sticking a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth.

"I am speaking from Oakland Hospital. Do you know Mohit Shah?" Aparna's eyes widened in panic as soon as her fiancé's name came out of the lady's mouth. Shutting down her laptop, she voiced her answered shakily.

"Yes, I know him. Is something wrong?" Please let him be alright...

"Well, I am sorry to inform you but Mr. Shah got into an accident and his condition is very critical. He has a day to live at the most."

__________

"Am I speaking to Mr. Varad Oberoi?" It was nearly midnight when Varad received the call.

"Yes. Who am I speaking to?" He asked, rubbing the exhaustion from his bloodshot eyes while he held his phone between his ear and shoulder blade.

"I am from Oakland Hospital. This call is regarding Shriparna Oberoi." Varad's ears perked up at the mention of his wife's name.

"Is there a problem?" He asked, his calm voice hiding his panic well. His wife had left for Goa with their son and her friends a few hours ago for a vacation.

"Yes sir. There has been an accident and we are sorry to inform you that Mrs. Oberoi has less than a few hours left."

"A-and what about my son?" He shakily asked, cursing himself for stuttering. 

"The baby is perfectly fine sir." She said, as Varad heaved a sigh of relief.

_____1_____