Nippers - Part 1

A frustrated and irritated sigh escapes your lips as you gaze at yourself in the mirror. You suppose you'll do, there's only so many ways you can make yourself look at least half-presentable for a sodding industry event at the age of thirty-four.

The effects of having three boys had taken its toll on you and your body, or so you thought anyway. Your black jumpsuit hid your imperfections well enough, and there was only so much make-up you could apply to cover your deepening wrinkles.

Two boys had been one too many, but the delightful accident that was your beautiful Fionn, you could never regret it, not any of them in fact. They were your babies, the most important thing in the world, no matter how exhausted you often found yourself.

"We need to go!" Your husband calls your name, apparently all too eager to get to the event early, which is very unlike him, you have to say. He's usually late to everything, always showing up at least half an hour later than he's supposed to. It makes you wonder what could possibly be so wonderful about this bloody party you're being dragged to that he feels the need to actually show up early.

Another sigh, and you grab your clutch from the bed and leave the bedroom, closing the door behind you. Peeking inside your youngest's room, you find Fionn sound asleep in his cradle. There was something about that little boy, maybe it was the fact that he was the only one of the three that resembled you in the slightest and that he never caused any trouble, but you always found yourself watching him for a few seconds longer than necessary. Or maybe it was that he made such little noise you enjoyed his presence more than even your own husband's.

You poke your head into your five-year-old's room. Lucas lay spread out in his small bed, arms wide and mouth slightly parted as he slept on his front. You have to smile warmly at him, taking advantage of the small amount of time during the day when he wasn't crying. In fact you're certain that he's only ever not crying when he's asleep.

"Mummy?"

You spin around quickly, and a little startled, to see your eldest standing behind you, looking up at you with wide eyes as he slumps in his dinosaur pyjamas, his flat hair in slight disarray. "What are you doing out of bed, nipper?"

"I wanted to see you before you left." Noah says groggily, rubbing his fists into his eyes to showcase how tired he actually is.

Noah's words melt your cold heart, and for a moment you fight the urge to stay home with your babies and fob off this ridiculous party. "Oh, my angel." Your heart aches for him, and you can feel your chest tightening with it. "Come on let's get you to bed. We're only going for a few hours. We'll be back before you know it." You say softly, taking his raised hand and pulling him to his bedroom.

He climbs into his bed, and you tug the covers over him and tuck him in. His night light is still on and the stars are still spinning. Admittedly it makes you feel a little dizzy but you ignore it for now. Maybe you'd be able to use it later as an opportunity to go home early.

"Are you and Daddy fighting?" Noah asks wearily into the quiet space between you.

You have to frown, the question making your heart ache more than it had a moment ago. You and Scott might not be in the best place with each other, but you weren't exactly arguing. "No, nipper. What makes you say that?"

Your little boy shrugs under his covers, the gesture so similar to those of his father it makes you feel ill. "You and Daddy never really talk any more. I thought you might be angry with him."

You laugh a short, soft hum. "No, poppet. We're just fine." You assure him, pushing his long flat hair from off his face. You'd never been a particularly soft person, yet your babies, and somehow Noah the most, managed to achieve that trait within you on a daily basis. "I need to go, but when I come back you need to be fast asleep, okay?"