1 | Grand Machine

My morning breakfast of this random bunny I found hopping around, brutally killed, and roasted on a stick, was interrupted by loud noises. I've heard it several times during my adventures, but I normally avoided them. So I prayed that whoever... whatever made that noise would leave me be, like how I did to them.

But my prayer was left completely ignored as they grew closer and louder.

Soon enough, I could see people in the shadows growing closer. I abandoned the now empty stick, and my fireplace, running to the safety of the surrounding trees.

Despite my pure white clothes and mask, they did not notice me among the dark brown trees and green grass and leaves. Instead, they seemed focus on what seemed like a blue piece of paper.

And eventually, they reached my house. I retreated further into the shadows - probably not going to help how much I stuck out among the trees like a highlighted word on a page - but the men were immediately attracted to my cottage.

My mouth curled into a smile as they seemed to admire it with awe... I didn't mind that they went inside and took some of my belongings, whether they were from my childhood or the books I had stolen from skeletons. I was about to reveal myself, introduce myself to these foreign men, when I remembered why I had ran in the first place.

A large... monster... I had no clue how to describe it. I had never seen these when my parents taught me hunting, nor did my vast collection of stolen diaries depict this! It was yellow, and I could barely make out the writing on the side. "CAT".

Well, that certainly was no cat.

The man who I assumed to be the leader told something to the monster. That was when I noticed there was another person in the belly of the monster! I almost screamed when it moved its long arm to dig around my house. It took me some time to realise that it was the person inside controlling the monster.

Although it made me somewhat relieved, I panicked when one side of my house began to crumple due to the machine hitting it. Don't know if it was on purpose or not, but it definitely was a dangerous thing I would never want to end up fighting in a million years.

I almost let out a whimper as over time, my house got destroyed. It was a couple of months, but it felt like my entire life just crashed down on me. Trees were cleared as well, and I retreated further. And occassionally, someone hits their head real hard on something. I would show myself and help if only the other people didn't take them away so quickly.

And this grand, terrifying monster. I could not decipher why or how the hell it was a cat. So one day, when I assumed the workers were on break, I walked up to it.

I poked its arm with a stick. It did not respond, but I jumped back anyway when I realised it was pure metal. How in the hell? It can't be made of metal, can it?

I poke it again, but this time on the glass. It did not seem bothered at all.

Taking a deep breathe, I finally spoke to the being. "Who are you, to trespass on this forest, and destroy the forest and my home? Who are you, labelled a cat, despite being not one?".

...nothing.

"Hello?"

I waited several minutes for a response, I grew tired. I forgot that there were other people around... until one of the men who entered my house was right beside me.

"What kind of maniac are you, dressed as a plague doctor and hanging out in a construction zone?"

I just stared at him, as his face quickly got overwritten by awe and confusion. "...What's with your eyes?-"

And just like that, he earned a rock in his face as I dashed back into the safety of the woods.