Payphone

Chapter 4

David told a previous roommate he needed money just as badly when asked for a loan before getting in the payphone. "My last dime mah," David is talking to his mother, Esmeralda. Reminding her about the promise of lending him money for homecoming.

"At least we get to see you for Spring break... don't worry too much David, you just pray and God will help you. And yes, your aunts are willing to help."

"Thanks mah... tell my aunts I will pay them back. I promise."

"Don't worry about that for now son, just focus on graduating first. I do hope you learned your lesson by now... some people just have no luck on betting. It's not your world, David."

David had a habit of wanting his win after loosing it, especially using big numbers. And he won't give up until he wins it back but no luck. David just ends up borrowing some more; and if he does borrows, he wins again. But looses it the following bet. Like a Ring Around the Rosie until he's aswoon. It must be a spiritual curse he thought and his mother advices him to pray the malediction when the borrowed money out run his monthly bills. The young David wishes he knew it sooner, when it felt like free money at the beginning; a secret from his mother, until the beans are spill to late. Thankfully, his mother is more helpful, and punishment she believes it's another added omen evil spirit to David.

"The bad spirit is playing with you son, and you know who it is."

"Yeah I know who it is, mah..."

"Hey! go play your scooter outside Josie, I am talking to your brother!" Josephine is David's little half sister, and she's been bumping back and forth with her little scooter in their kitchen. David could tell she wanted attention from him.

"Let me talk to her." And David's mom gives the phone to her sister.

"Here. Say hello to your brother. His poor right now so say hello quickly!"

Josephine took the phone and said, "Hi Kuya (big brother)". I heard you're coming by to see Lolo (grandfather) for his birthday. Is Ateh (older sister) Agnes coming?"

David took another dime from his pocket and placed it in the phone box. "Yeah, she wants to see you too," he said. "But she's busy right now. So she can't. Maybe next year. Wow, how old are you now?"

"That's too bad... well, I am seven now, but in eight months I be eight! Will I see her by then? Her picture looks so pretty," they have few pictures together placed on the side of their fridge along with Agnes high school senior picture.

David smiled and said, "Yeah, I know. Maybe she won't be busy on your birthday. But I will see you guys soon."

"Mom says you are poor. Are you begging in the street?"

"No nothing like that, I just got into trouble with gambling."

"What's that?"

"Well... its... its like hide and seek, and you give money to guess if your friend is really hiding behind the tree or... not hiding behind the tree. And if your guess is right, you double your money."

"Your friend is not hiding behind the tree?"

"No, his not hiding behind the tree... and it's not fun. You loose your money and he's not hiding behind the bush either."

"Okay."

"His not hiding anywhere..."

"I hope you find your friend, Kuya."

"Thanks Josie... alright, give the phone back to mom." And Josephine gave the phone to mom.

"I'm back," the mom says.

"So you have something by then?" he begs.

"What did I tell you. Yes, and don't worry about it. You just pray son, and God always answers."

"I love you, mom. Ok, I'll see you guys for Spring."

"Love you too... bye son," she then hung the phone up.

"Yeah, see ya..." There are payphone in their campus but David chosen a particular phone booth nearby the Benny Wong is #1 restaurant outside Berkeley campus. It gives him time to contemplate if a request is necessary. Few times it took half way to the payphone to turn back. For this occasion, he already had plenty of times. David doesn't talk much on the phone for social issues, most are for employers if incase he gets caught up from school; a quiz exam is one of them. Just once when he had a stomach flu. Eminently, for request prayers from his mother who is a devoted catholic; the motherly voice alone immures the weight off his back when it gets too heavy. David seems to be speaking to someone else now, his mother is already off the phone. "It's going... I guess it's going..." he says and it's the same words repeats before hanging up the phone. Then he walks back to his dorm.

Helen can see David through the large window of the restaurant, and she can sympathize whenever he appears towards the phone or when changing his mind like to a confessional booth. We could use another busboy. But she's shy to break his pride for he doesn't fit for the blue collar. She's within easy reach of asking, maybe through humorous converse if she can make up one.

That night back at the dorm, David took his mother's advice and he prepares to pray. Nathan is laying on his bed with a lamp, reading a pocket book. The Great Hunger by Cecil Woodham-Smith. When the clock turns to 11:15 pm, he closes the book and places it on the light table. Then Nathan turns to David. "You know, there's a lot of scammers out there. I'm here for ya man."

"What are you talking about, yeah I know," David shrugs, and he pulls a suitcase under his bed and opens it. Inside the suitcase is an old siddur book, a Jews shawl, and a Tefillin.

"Your roommate last year? I heard at the library, he drops out due to his gambling addiction," Nathan can tell David is the type of guy venerable to get stuck into odd situations.

"I think that Irish famine your reading got you, man. But yeah, I have seen him too. He asks me to lend him money today but I couldn't help the guy. Ey man, don't worry about it. That's not why I ask the RA to be your roommate this year... plus you help me in History, and that's a big help." Then David wraps his arm with a tefillin and places the block on his arm and head. Nathan thought it looks funny, but David didn't mind for he likes impressing his friend.

"Alright... well, I'm still here," Nathan says, and he turns off his lamp then went to bed.
Thanks, Nate."

"Don't mention it."

David then put on a Jews shawl and he sits upon his bed. He reads the siddur book which is a lot thicker for it shows both Hebrew texts and the translated version in English. David prays for Parnassa meaning income, as well for his family; his girlfriend, politic agendas in school, and their journey towards Michigan then to Boston.

The duo met in their library when David was searching for Physics History Book before they were roommates. Then they remember frequently seeing each other at Benny Wong is #1 restaurant and became friends. Both were Freshmen at that time and were not too happy about their roommates; Nathan had a militant Black Panther roommate, and David's got him involved in gambling debt. So they ask the school's resident assistant to another dorm and become roommates. After learning they both have religious faiths, both gave mutual space to practice without question. Just mutual respect with light jokes; David thought Nathan's speaking in tongues retrospected the blocks on his body.

When David finish praying, he reminisces about his grandfather Yechiel. And it goes back when David was six years old. His grandfather was fixing his shiny black leather shoe's ties on a parking lot. The Star of David around the old man's neck gets the boy's attention; Yechiel sees his grandson likes his shiny pendant and he pinched David's both cheeks. "When you become a rabbi, you'll have your own star too." Then he gets up, takes David by the hand and walk to a jews temple.

When David turns thirteen years old, he amputates his long sideburns and stops wearing yarmulke cap over his head. But his spiritual beliefs stayed on and off. David never did get the Star of David like what his grandfather has, but he will have one later that glows.