Work

Chapter 5

"Good to see you finally being promoted as a driver," said Nestor. "You're a good worker David, and I want to see you more to our restaurant. You don't mind driving dead pigs to restaurants from the farm are you David?"

"All the way from Gilroy?"

"That's the place, its where the Lechon Pigs you see by the kitchen racks from... we also have goats farm there. Our clients are picking up, and one of them is where you and your friend goes to."

"Oh, Benny Wong Restaurant," David said. "Yeah, they make good ducks. No, I don't mind."

Nestor is David's manager, and he has a large freezer that can fit six freshly slaughtered pigs and ten goats. The once small Persian grocery store is now owned by Nestor as a Filipino restaurant. At the back of the humble building, is a Lechon Pit; along with four cast iron double propane burners and one six trays bake oven for their catering business. Inside, there are two tables with two wide cushioned synthetic red seats for each one. Six selection of Filipino cuisine from their hot food display Bain Marie always keeps blue-collar customers of returning. He's a forty-nine years old family man of twin girls, and they are eleven years old. He came to the States when he was fifteen years old and held in touch with his old friends from the Philippines. Nestor considers them as real friends and families. Few of them, he petitioned to be his cooks.

David is sitting down and dress neatly for another interview by the same Manager. For a few months now, David has worked at the restaurant cleaning ovens and cooks wares; thanks to Agnes, she introduced him to his uncle, Nestor. David met her when Agnes and her group hired him to make flyers for their movements at their school in Berkeley. Then she finds out he is desperately hunting for a job, and David is experienced in Filipino cuisines.

"How's some free Lumpias after work," ask Agnes.

"How about Bibingka.

She smiled and said, "We have that too."

"Yeah anything right now... I do understand a little Tagalog, and speak most of the funny once, and bad once, but I will definitely take it." David said, he then looks at her dimples on the sides of her chin when she smiles and thought: She's kinda cute.

"Will keep in touch then. We also gonna need you for our posters," Agnes said, and she writes on an address on his palm, then walks away with her group of friends, "And my uncle's name is Nestor! Just tell'em my name!" she shouted.

"What's your name again?" David shouts back.

"Agnes!"

David then naturally stares at her butt as she is walking away with her collies. But she turn back at David, she's flattered and thought: He's kinda cute.

Agnes is a pretty busy young lady and has political views of helping Filipino American people. During the Third World Movement at UC Berkeley, she contributes most of her time forming a group called Filipino Students Association (FSA) in 1969. And she joins among other band of students to gain support to her coalition. The FSA is now known as Pilipino American Alliance (PAA). David supports her and later became girlfriend and boyfriend.

"You'll be training with Lito," said Nestor.

Nestor really intends to replace Lito as their driver, and he thinks David would be the perfect candidate. But to do so, David has to know some common routes for their deliveries. Aside from catering deliveries and freshly killed pigs for Asian restaurants, they also squeezed in to deliver produce like fruits and vegetables to houses all over the Bay Area. But only for Fridays from a lady who grows them at their big orchard.