four

⋆ ☽ ⋆ ☾ ⋆

    More people on board meant more shuffling feet, more whispers, more fear being spread amongst the whole crew. It also meant more heartbeats for Nataliya to ignore as she was focusing on the distant ones in the darkness of the Fold. Someone bumped into her and made her lost focus. In the darkness, she couldn't see who it was.

    ''What is it that you do exactly?'' The quiet voice belonged to Colonel Zmeya. Someone from the other side of the skiff shushed her.

    Nataliya sighed deeply through her nose as she refocused back on her task. ''I'm listening to Volcra heartbeats. It's a chance to give everyone a heads up if they are coming nearer.'' She whispered.

    The skiff was again enveloped into darkness and it sifted through the sand. ''Hey!'' Someone yelled and then a gun clicked as if someone put it against their shoulder to shoot. More grunts and quick booted steps of probably the Inferni as he tried to made order. Soldiers from the East never made trouble on board, the ones from the West though were rarely travelling through so the commotion was no doubt from them. Nataliya grumbled under her breath as she ignored their angry whispers. Her breath then hitched as a new heartbeat appeared echoing in her mind.

    ''On the left.'' She warned quietly but strongly enough that the Inferni heard her.

    More guns cocking and soldiers shuffling to the railing. A distant Volcra cry travelled through the space and then the flapping of wings. ''How far?'' The Inferni asked quietly.

    Nataliya listened harder. ''A couple of miles at most.''

    ''Soldiers on positions!'' All silence was evaded. ''Squaller get us out as fast as possible!'' The Inferni yelled up the skiff.

    A grunt was heard from Zoya and the skiff jerked faster, sending the whole crew through the Fold. Nataliya dropped her hands and watched the things around her in anxious anticipation. The head of the skiff was determined that something is going to happen inevitably so the whole crew stopped trying to be quiet and rather prepared for the worst while they still could. The Inferni lit up a few things so they could see around them and just then one of the Volcra's roared loudly very close to the skiff. Next thing they knew it took one soldier by the shoulders and took him screaming out in the darkness.

    Nataliya watched with wide eyes as guns shot out and soldiers yelled all on top of each other. A Volcra landed on the railing, digging its talons into the wood and exposing the rows of needle-like sharp teeth as it roared. Nataliya stumbled backwards, feeling how her heart wanted to jump out. She wasn't sure what she should do with all the crazy commotion around her. Then her mission came back to her mind and she searched the deck for Colonel Zmeya.

    ''Colonel!'' Nataliya yelled and walked across trying to put the name to the face. She spotted her at the very edge of the railing, revolves in her hand. ''Colonel Zmeya! It'll be safest below deck!'' She said over all the noise.

    The older woman looked at her as if she was crazy. She turned back out to the darkness, shooting a bullet and when it hit something in the distance, possibly a Volcra fell to the floor. ''I ain't going anywhere!'' Zmeya yelled back and kept shooting.

    ''I'm supposed to get you out alive! This is not –''

    ''Then use your goddamn powers girl!'' Zmeya yelled.

    Just then Volcra dropped down low prepared to pick up another soldier and carry it away. It was heading towards the Colonel. In an act of instinct, Nataliya reached out, clapped her hands and did a motion as if she was balling air in her hands. The Volcra cried out and Nataliya could feel the deep black blood coursing through its veins. By slowing the heart she slowed its motions as well just enough so the soldiers could shoot at it and kill it.