Chapter 4

Going home, your head bowed in shame. Your mother turning towards you and looking at you almost sorrowfully. You saw your father, smiling, but you turned your head away from his loving gaze. He noticed your head kept down and looked worrisome.

Running into your room, you wiped all of your makeup off as water swelled in your eyes. Taking a cloth and a basin of water, you slowly wiped your face, smudging your makeup. Slowly wiping away and looking at the mirror, you saw your father coming in. Walking towards you with his crutches supporting him, he let out a little breeze to cool the air. Sitting near you, he sighed. He looked towards you with your back against him. "(y/n), are you alright?"

You didn't respond. The flower from the spring sky came blowing into the wind and into your window. He slowly caressed the pink flower as you took out your hairpins. Looking through the window, the many flowers bloomed except for 1 bud. "My, my. A late flower on our sakura tree. Yes the other flowers are bloomed, but once that bud blossoms..."

He took your comb and turned your head towards him. He placed the comb in your hair gentlely. "It would be the most beautiful flower of all."

You lightly smiled as your father smiled back. But the tranquil and sweet moment was interrupted by the faint banging of a drum. Your father's ears perked up as he grabbed his crutches and went downstairs. "Father?"

You followed him. Your father had a war habit of walking fast, so usually you couldn't catch up to him. Your mother followed him as you ran. "Elder sister! Elder sister! Why are we running?"

Chenjiao followed along. Running, you made it to the village where you saw soldiers in uniform on horses. You held Chenjiao close to you, to prevent him from running towards the horses. "Citizens! I have a proclamation from His Majesty himself, the Dorbijit Empire is invading our land!"

The gasp were apparent. "His Majesty wants one man from every family. The Ye family!"

A man bowed and took the conscription scroll. "The Han family!"

"I will serve His Majesty in my father's place."

"The (l/n) family!"

Your eyes widen as you tighten your grip on Chenjiao's shoulders."

Your father gave his crutches to your mother, limping his left foot. Bowing he looked up at the soldier. "I am willing to serve His Majesty once again."

You were able to block him. "Father you can go! Please sir, my father has already served and his leg-"

"Silence! You will do well in teaching your daughter to keep her mouth shut in a man's presence."

You looked at your father as he lowered his head. "(y/n) you disappoint me." You gasped softly as you looked at your father. Why would he say that when he wasn't mad earlier?

Your mother pulled you away as the soldier got out the scroll. "Report tomorrow at the Liwuzhong Camp!"

"Yes sir."

The called of names faded in your ears as your father limped back home. Your mother's eyebrows knitted as you held Chenjiao even closer to you.

________________________________

Walked to the storage, you find your father trying to work his sword the way he used to. He limped in one move and fell as you hid behind the wall breathing in and out unusually.

_______________________________

Dinner was rather quite. You gave Chenjiao a dumpling, but couldn't shake off the tension of the current events that were happening. Pouring the tea for everyone your eyebrows knitted like your mother's. The silent and tense air felt stiff and stuffy. You took your cup, slamming on the table. "You shouldn't have to go!"