Chapter 1: The First Event

"Morning William. Did you not go home last night?"

"Morning sir, and no. I didn't go home. By the way, did you bring coffee? I was up all night." William responded.

His boss gave him a raised eyebrow, but continued on the conversation like nothing happened. "Well that explains your attitude." William's boss stated, making William flinch. "But yeah. I brought coffee. It's in the break room. How about you get a cup." His boss suggested as he walked off to his office. The sound of his door close loudly made William jump as he was sweating. He was so scared that he messed up. He exhaled heavily as he slumped in his chair.

He looked at his progress on his screen. The A.I. was nearly ready for testing. He gave the A.I. the name Mia, standing for Mental Illness Assistant. He also refers to it as she, it seemed best to him to make it feminine as a hope for a larger group to relate to Mia better.

He got up from his desk and walked to the lounge room for a cup of well needed coffee. As he left and went out of view of his computer, he did not notice the screen glitched out for a second. Then it returned to normal.

_______________________________________

William walked nervously to his boss's office. He stood before the double doors, and with a shaking hand knocked on the door. He heard footsteps approaching the door, and after a second the door opened. In front of him and the opener of the door was one of the company's products. A V3 General Service Synth.

"Hello William

"Hello William." The synth greeted. "How may I assist you?"

"I was wondering if I could talk to the boss. I need to apologize." William said as he scratched the back of his head. The synth nodded and moved to the side as to allow William to enter.

"He is in the back. Would like me to get him?" The synth asked as she closed the door.

"No need. I will go to him."

"Very well William." The synth then walked and took a seat the desk to return to the holo computer.

William walked catiously to the door and knocked once more.

"Come in." His boss spoke from the other side. William turned the handle and walked into the office. "Ah good morning William, what can I do for you?" His boss asked. William bowed his head.

"I wanted to apologize for my attitude early." William apologized. His boss merely stared at William a bit shocked. He cleared his throat.

"Apology accepted. It's alright William." His boss said. William sighed in relief and stood straight again. "Now, how is the A.I.?" His boss inquired as William took a seat on the couch in the room.

"Mia is going good."

"You named it?" His boss asked in surprise.

"Yeah? I mean I named her Mia. Short for Mental Illness Assistant."