Chapter 5: The Bookworm's Day Out

I hear the sound of the AC first, my eyes squinting and fluttering open second. At first, all is hazy, the veil of sleepiness still distorting my vision as confusion swarms me. What's the year? Where am I? What time is it? What's going on? And so much more. It's only after my vision clears and my sense comes back to me that I begin to recall my surroundings.

I'm in my hotel, outstretched on the bed, the light of what must be the late morning or early noon sun filtering in through the window. It is brilliant and warm, flooding this hotel room with so much glee, stirring me more and more. At first, I don't recall what all happened before I dozed off but before long, my memories hum to life, and my eyes widen as I jerk, looking to my side.

He's gone. Kaneki. He's not here. He was here, sound asleep when I drifted off, but now he's not.

Panicking, I glimpse to the sofa to see if he maybe woke up and moved. However, he is not there. The couch, much like the space next to me, is empty. Kaneki is nowhere to be seen. This only concerns me, prompting me to sit up when I hear a gentle call from somewhere in the room

"Good morning."

My eyes wander to the kitchenette, landing on Kaneki as he approaches, two cups of something steaming - coffee, by the smell of it - in tow. He reaches me and passes a cup over, a soft smile bowing his lips.

"Well, I suppose it's closer to noon, but I'm sure you get it," he adds.

I blink but take the cup. "Thank you, and good morning...or noon, I guess."

He just nods and moseys over to the sofa, taking a seat as he takes a swig of the coffee. I just remain seated on the bed, glancing down at the steaming beverage in my cup. It smells nice and bitter, though, in a sweet way, the inky liquid almost reflecting me. I say almost because I hope I don't actually look as haggard as this tiny reflection shows, though I wouldn't be surprised if I do. After all, I'm still trying to shake any lingering haziness. Easier said than done since I jerked up.

Still, coffee might help, so I take a sip, allowing the warm beverage to roll down my throat, its bitterness caressing my tastebuds, my cells already buzzing.

"Tastes good," I say, glancing at him. "Thank you again."

"You're welcome." He takes another sip of his drink, running his thumbs along the mug. "So, it's a nice day today. Is there anything you want to do?"

Good question. Before the whole Aogiri Tree thing, I would just spend my days exploring, sightseeing, and playing tourist. However, after that fiasco, I am not entirely comfortable with venturing on my own. Not while still here in Japan.

My throat goes dry. Two weeks. That's all I have left here. Just two weeks left of glancing over my shoulder to assure myself Tatara isn't stalking after me. Just two weeks of making sure no rogue ghouls snatch me off the streets. Just two weeks until I go back home to all the things I know, far, far away from the dangers here. But also, only two weeks left with him.

Two weeks left with Kaneki.

Obviously bittersweet. So, so bittersweet. Bittersweet because...I don't want to say goodbye to him. I'm not ready to. But I still have these two weeks. There are still these fourteen days. It may not be much, but it is something. It is still something to cling to.

Smiling, I shrug, "Not sure. Feel like I've already visited every shrine around here and seen as much as I can. Is there anything you recommend?"

He sits, thinking about it for a moment, tapping his finger against his chin. Then: "You like books, right?"

I lift a brow. "Kaneki, I'm an author. I write books for a living. Of course, I like books."

He chuckles, "Sorry. I realized it was a silly question after I already asked it. But if you want, you can check out some of the local bookshops. I don't know about you, but I need some new reading material."

My face lights up at this. Book shopping. To most, I'm sure this sounds dull, but to two bookworms, this is the idea.

I take another gulp of coffee and climb to my feet. "Give me fifteen. I wanna wash up and change, then we can go."

"I'm guessing that means you're alright with that plan?"

"Uh, duh? Of course, I am!" I laugh. "Just give me fifteen."

***

"Oh, this one looks good," I say, selecting a book from one of the shelves. "Oh, it looks like it's a spooky book."

He snorts, "Spooky? Do you mean scary?"

"Spooky. It's a spooky book."

He jokingly rolls his eyes. "Is it a horror novel?"

I glance over the fine details of what the story's about, my brain working its best to translate the various hiragana and kanji as quickly as it can. "Uh, yes. It appears to be."

Kaneki moves closer, glancing over my shoulder. "It is. I didn't know you're a fan of horror."

"Eh, I don't read it too often, but this one looks good."

"In that case, you should get it."

"I just might."

I look at the book a tad longer, feeling its smooth spine in my hands before sliding it into my basket. Kaneki and I make our way through the tiny book shop, each showing the other any books that catch our eyes, the sweet, sweet scent of paper and ink filling my nose.

This perfume is such a pleasant aroma to me, instantly transferring me to my childhood. Memories of searching my favorite local bookstore's shelves, searching for a new book to devour. Just thinking about those countless hours of searching brings a smile to my face.

"I think I'll get this one," Kaneki says, pulling me from my thoughts.

I blink and glance over, looking at the novel in his hands, my eyes ever so slightly widening at seeing the author's name.

Sen Takatsuki.

Immediately, I am temporarily teleported back to that dark cell, nothing but a little flashlight and the book Eto gave me to read. The book that was by that exact author. Sen Takatsuki.

For a moment, my body goes numb and my throat dry. However, I manage to swallow that and clear my throat. "Ah, found some Sen Takatsuki, eh?"

He nods, "Yeah. I love her work. It's just so incredible." He turns to me, quickly adding, "Though I'd love to read some of your work. I'm sure it's just as incredible as hers. It's just..."

"You can't read it because it's not here."

"Yeah. But I do want to. Your books seem to get good reviews."

I smile, "Don't worry about it. Maybe one day they'll be available in Japan, but for now, don't worry."

His lips just remain quirked in that soft smile. "Maybe. And when they are, I'll be the first to read them."

Hearing this...my cheeks flush red, this intense heat sprawling across my face. What he's saying...so many others have said the same, but never once have I reacted this way. Never once have I cared to hear that this much. However, hearing this from him...it really and truly means something to me.

And it leaves me flustered, so I quickly turn, averting my eyes as a means to hide my scarlet features, stammering, "S-sure. Whatever you say."

I can just feel his stare, knowing he's most likely smirking, my heart racing. This is embarrassing. This is so embarrassing. And yet...I like feeling his stare on me. I like how that feels. Seen. Noticed. And deep down...

Wanted.

**Ello, ello lovelies! A cute little chapter between Kaneki and Y/N. Still kinda wholesome...for now. Lol jk, jk - or am I? I'm so excited. This weekend (tomorrow, really) my sister and I are going to the renaissance fair! We've never been before so we're - well, I'm - excited! We're gonna try to dress up and everything. Then, afterward, we're gonna go home and change and go to a nearby amusement park to go through some of their haunted houses with our cousins and friends. That's our plan, anyway. We're gonna be busy, but it'll be fun. How are y'all celebrating the spooky season? Just make sure you're staying safe! As always, thank you so, so much for everything! Y'all are the bee's knees! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross