𝟭𝟬

10 — old friends + death of the phone call

🌬┊͙୭̥⋆*。

VENTI FINDS HIMSELF BRAIDING
the long strands of his hair— finds himself refusing to return to the hotel room. he wonders if aether will care about his conversations with xiao, if he will care at all about venti's feelings. he's standing outside the door of the room, tears threatening to spill , pricking his eyes and wetting his dark lashes. all venti wants to do now is cry— perhaps, he can write a song about this feeling later.

and all of a sudden, he hears the room door open, a crack, a gradual creak. venti's stomach drops, face goes pale, his first instinct is to run away— his first instinct is to presume it's aether, who he doesn't want to see right now. but he freezes in place. he stops crying, he dares not to move.

a messy tuft of red hair can be seen from the door crack.

a sigh of relief from venti. his worried look falters, fades into a soft smile. it's diluc.

"venti," whispers the tired red-head, "what in god's name are you doing—"

"shhh," he replies quickly, "please come outside."

the taller male doesn't hesitate to do so. he finds that venti sounds quite serious— almost sad. he was quiet about it, silently shutting the door behind him, slowly creeping outside.

"what is it," diluc says, eyes and head lowering to meet venti. he sounds concerned, and deep in thought.

"i don't know what to say, and i don't know if i should even tell you. i just need a friend right now, that's all."

the expression from the red-haired male is an unreadable one. his eyes are narrowed, deep and inviting.  there are no words to be spoken. diluc doesn't want to hear what is going on— why venti seems this way. that is only because venti looks like he doesn't want to talk about it.

"let's take a walk, venti," diluc suggests, "it's a bit chilly out, but morning is just breaking. the sun should be out soon."

the dark-haired looks up, met diluc's eyes for a moment, before nodding.

springvale, mondstadt. this is where venti grew up. it's intentional the four winds' world tour would end in venti's hometown. he's never gotten bored of the place he'd called home. the weather in springvale is cold and bright. it's one of those mornings— a sort of winter sun, despite it being the middle of may.

the sun is oddly bright today. venti seems a bit more chipper already, just coming outside with diluc, sharing a silence that could only be shared between two old friends.