Part Eleven

This was going to be harder than I thought. I couldn't keep my eyes to myself, all of us sitting around the table with a new case. I tried my hardest to focus on the pictures of the dead man in front of me but watching her chew on the cap of her pen, her tongue swirling around the lid...made my mind wander.

"Aaron?" Dave nudged at my arm, "are you okay?"

"Hmmm?" I looked around the table at everyone staring at me with concern. "Sorry, I guess I'm kind of out of it today."

"Long weekend?" Morgan grinned and winked in my direction.

I pinched at the bridge of my nose and ignored his comment, "I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"I was saying that maybe we should call in Emily," JJ continued, "this seems like her kind of thing, I mean this guy came all the way from Russia and he's in the Interpol database."

"If anyone would know about this guy, it would be her," Morgan continued, "we could at least give her a call and see."

"Okay," I nodded in agreement still only half paying attention, "Garcia, see if you can get ahold of her and let me know. We'll have to head to Boston without her but maybe she can meet us there."

"I get to meet Emily?" Evan smiled and perked up in her seat.

"We'll see," I smiled in her direction, suddenly realizing that Evan and Emily have never met. "Wheels up in twenty."

Everyone started to gather up their things and scramble to get their stuff together but I noticed that Evan was still sitting in her chair, zoned out with her face in her phone. I waited until everyone was out of the room before I approached her,

"Hey, are you okay?"

She rolled her eyes and jumped from her chair for the door, "yeah."

"Stop," I blocked her way with my arm and looked around again to make sure no one was watching us, "what is it?"

She sighed and glared up at me, "my dad just text me that they're going to be in town this week."

"Really? For Ethan?" I dropped my arm and let her go, following behind her around the bullpen.

"Yeah, it's been ten years. There's this thing...his name is downtown."

"Really? You never told me that."

"It never came up."

"Evan, if you need to sit this one out, I can make it work."

"Are you kidding me?" she stopped in the middle of the walkway and practically begged, "please don't make me sit on my couch with my parents all week. I'd much rather be in Boston trying to catch this fucker."

"Evan, I was just suggesting," I looked around to see who was watching us, "ten years is kind of a big deal."

She groaned and started to head towards the stairs, "Aaron, please don't."

"Fine, then, I won't." I followed behind her and turned into my office, jumping when I suddenly felt something pinch at my ass. "Are you kidding me?"

"What?" she barely grinned as she passed me for the stairs.

"Don't do that," I looked around in a panic to make sure no one saw her grab me in the middle of work. Evan was still having trouble with work boundaries and after the weekend that we had, I knew it was only going to get worse.