(Chapter 116) As Satisfied as Ever

The parade ended to the absolute spectacular of everyone who witnessed it and when the crew got back to Marve's ship late into the night the pirate told them he would be going to bed and not to wake him. Selice noticed a hint of implication in the way he spoke but couldn't pick up on the underlying meaning as Loy could.

But she didn't care much to look into it as all of her thoughts of the night were occupied envisioning schematics of the parade floats and even sketching possible ideas of how they operated onto sheets of paper she had brought from Mave's office. She also spent time contemplating the functioning of the metal mice, and stone marbles, feeling she was just on the verge of figuring out how to merge the two technologies together when a soft knock at her door jerked her attention away.

Loy didn't wait for Selice's reply to open her door and than shut it behind him.

"Loy?" Selice got up from the small writing desk that she had littered with primitive blueprints. She noticed a small cylinder object in his hand. "What's that?"

"A gift," Loy said, smiling as he handed it over.

Selice's delicate fingers started to trace over the objects as soon as her eyes took in the gleaming bright metal. It looked like a thick short telescope and she picked it up to see it was much heavier than one. With her astute sense for machines, Selice could tell there was more to this object and thoroughly commenced examining the gift, looking for a switch or end to press.

"You have to look through it," Loy revealed, angling up the end with the eyepiece towards her.

Selice brought her eye closer, closing the other to see inside to an array of crystal colors in patterns that were so unique and beautiful she was mesmerized. Loy grabbed one of her hands and showed it to twist the end cap and as she did it started to change patterns, becoming a moving show of diamonds, emeralds, and pearls. The swirling reflections imitated the statues of the gods in the parade and the fights of fireworks in the sky, and it played the soft music of the gods' hymns as she unknowingly winded up the small music box inside.

Loy watched Selice fondly in her eagerness. In all his trips over the years, he had made sure to bring back an invention of some sort, just to see her unadulterated enjoyment.

"What is it called?" Selice questioned, raising her gaze out of the object.

"It's a kaleidoscope," Loy replied. "I thought you might like it."

Selice smiled as her brain latched onto another invention to dissect. "Thank you." Her hands fidgeted around the cold brass, as some other phenomenon pulled at her. "But Loy," Selice said, apprehensive to ask but her curiosity always got the better of her. "Why did you bring me along on this trip? Why take me along to all these places and show me all these things?"

Loy smiled down at her. "Personal reasons."

"You already said that." Selice sulked, not liking her questions unanswered.

"I never said they were mine," Loy stated, helping himself further into her cabin. He stood in front of a full-length mirror in the corner of her room and gestured for her to stand beside him. Selice hadn't even been really aware of its presence, since mirrors had long ago been a keen source of discomfort for her. Loy stood behinds her, and traced the tops of her shoulders before guiding the tops of her dress off her.

Selice felt the cold night air hit her exposed skin but could only stare at the foreign sight of herself. It was the first time in her life she saw her entire reflection echoing who she felt she was inside and she reached up to touch her cheek. It felt as it looked, and she looked as she felt. It was a curious comfort, and one she was very thankful to have finally experienced and it was all thanks to her exhaustingly annoying and strangely considerate psychotic prince.