Chapter Five

The fireworks were a little excessive. My welcoming party began at sunset and I had yet to leave the comfort of my room.

Thor had a traditional Asgardian dress sent up for me which still sat laid upon my bed. It was an exquisite piece of clothing, the fitted bodice was made from fine plated silver to replicate armour. The long shoulder-less sleeves flowed in a deep crimson red, embroidered with glittering jewels and crystals, cuffed at the sleeves with more silver. The skirt was a mass of red tulle, with a train which fell off of the bed.

It was ridiculous. It was not me. Maybe that was why I didn't put it on. Or maybe it was the reality of it all finally settling upon my chest - there was no going backward, no being normal and human. I could no longer want for simple things. There were expectations of me now.

The sky outside flashed in a rainbow of colours and several floors below the pounding music reached me. I stalked to the glass doors to slam them closed.

Instead I was dressed in the simplest clothing I could find in my wardrobe - once again the garments all new and unfamiliar. Though further digging I had found a sage silk slip dress buttoned down the middle.

It felt like butter against my naked skin and was far less intimidating than the heavy gown on my bed. I grabbed my heeled sandals and left my room, stomach coiled tightly and I brushed my long hair off of my shoulders. The air was growing hotter this close to summer or perhaps it was my nerves as my legs felt weak descending the stairs. By now the guests would have been fueled by sweet wine and intoxicating music.

When I reached the landing and faced the long hall which led toward the main hall and throne room I froze. Bile rose in my throat and I fled the opposite way, putting much needed space between myself and the party.

How was I supposed to enter this party, all eyes would have been on me - judging and devouring me, the people of New Asgard and some of Thor's older earth friends ready for me to impress them.

I couldn't do it. Not yet. I just need a few minutes or an hour away, to catch my breath and hype myself up for the pressure of it all. I followed the hall in the opposite direction and wound through rooms of the palace until I found myself outside in the gardens leading away from the palace.

Heels still in hand, I slipped them on before I crossed the cobblestone bridge and my gaze caught upon the distinct shape of the lighthouse in the distance - the lights of the town guiding me.

There was no one to stop me, no one to see me making my escape and it may have been pure luck but I'm sure Thor had the entire population of his kingdom and then some in that palace.

When I had reached the lighthouse, my skin sticky with perspiration and feet aching from my shoes - I didn't first notice that the lighthouse had been cleaned. I tried the light switch by the door and exhaled in relief. It was immaculate.

The floors were clean, the walls repainted a fresh white and there was furniture. A small couch and lamp in the centre of the room, a coffee table before it and in the far of the room a small table with two chairs. It had even smelt clean - of citrus and sea salt from the ocean.

Forgetting about the party and my disappearing act, I descended the creaking stairs which no longer creaked. Amongst the winding shelves were books, old and new and I stopped mid-step. Mine.

I choked on a sob and my face ached with a grin as my fingers traced the titles, hundreds of them. All mine. Worn from use, the familiar pages dog-eared or yellowed with age. Books from my childhood and books from my teenage years and even the most precious ones inscribed from my parents.

Heart in my throat I finally reached the landing to find the room above also clean and filled with more of my things. The bed was made in my white coverlet and handmade pillows and took up most of the room. The desk was empty save for an old lamp and small trinkets I recognised as mine.