Chapter Fourteen

I was losing my fucking mind.

After Loki's assurance that I was to do as I was told, I couldn't think. My body moved, following Sam into the elevators and then down several flights of stairs and another elevator with too many key passes and security checks.

The entire time, my body felt weak. Zapped of any energy as if from his words alone, Loki had taken something from me. My sanity certainly, my ability to judge right from wrong and tell him no, stop, this wasn't okay.

Loki kept his distance, returning to his facade of bored guest and distant, uninvolved uncle. He brushed at the leather sleeves of his Asgardian garb and kept his distance from me, arms folded tightly over his chest.

The worst part was I yearned for him to look at me, for our gazes to catch. I felt like a lovesick girl, wishing to be noticed by the bad boy, his unavailability and disinterest only making my need for him grow.

Frigga's words blared in my mind with every echo of my steps on the marbled floors and every exhaled breath. It seemed I was relying on them as truth. But what use would Frigga have lying to me, she had been honest with me about many things. The worst of them being what havoc I may cause in the future.

I severely doubted her modest suggestion to fuck my uncle - her own son - was not a ruse. Though Frigga and her sons were ancient in my own terms, I did not think if Frigga had a choice in the matter she would haven chosen for Loki and I to be connected. Not physically anyway.

Take him as a lover, I will tire of running, he is still alive for a reason, he is the only one who can rescue me from my own fate.

Her words were a promise, the weight of them now just as heavy as when she had spoken them to me. The more I stewed on them the more I realised that my path was already carved. Just as I was to be Thor's daughter, I played a part in Loki's life and he in mine. A major part, I was to be his.

I looked to him then, Sam was leading us down a long hall explaining the materials used for the cells and Loki's eyes were peering through the translucent glass trying to glance at who was inside to no success. His blue eyes flickered toward me and just as quickly, a deep frown settled on his face. The entire hall was silent, save for the soft hum of electricity.

Sam stopped walking and pointed to an empty cell, punching in a code on the door where it opened a few inches, the glass turned transparent to showcase a grey room, a singular cot against the wall, a toilet and basin, a small shelf for a desk and stool and a tv mounted on the wall.

'This cosy little space is yours if you want it.' Sam said to Loki with a raised brow, 'We haven't had too many complaints yet. Though my guy in cell six did request some music and a punching bag.'

Loki sneered at Sam and I walked inside to escape the retorts I knew Loki would soon be throwing his way.

'Eva,' Loki warned, 'You shouldn't go in there.'

'Why?' I asked and wondered who had been in this cell, anyone of note or particularly evil or just the usual terrorists and assassins.

'Come out.' Loki stood at the doorway and his brow was furrowed, he still wore a deep frown and hesitated to step foot inside the cell.

'He thinks it's a trap.' Sam said and crossed his arms over his chest, leaning on the exterior glass window.

'I do not.' Loki snapped throwing Sam a venomous look.

I sighed, right about the bickering and perched on the bed, surprised at the softness of it. It seemed the Compound was concerned about the state of their prisoner's sleep.