#11) That Sinking Feeling- ATLA

Prompt #11- Just keep swimming. ATLA- S1 during "The Waterbending Master"

Staring at the ceiling did nothing to help Zuko's mood. Logically he understood why the crew chose what they did... Zhao didn't give them a choice. That didn't soften the sting of their departure though. 'Stupid Zhao and his conniving plans.' A sudden squeak echoed through the ship.

Zuko bolted upright. Uncle said he was taking a walk and with the entire crew gone who, or what, had made that noise? Steadying his breathing Zuko leapt into the hallway, ready for a fight. Nothing.

Still, Zuko knew he hadn't imagined it. On silent feet he crept through the dark halls, keeping an ear out for anything suspicious. 'If anyone was after things of value they'd go for the bridge.' Zuko thought grimly. Slinking in that direction, Zuko stopped short in the doorway. Again nothing.

Maybe, maybe, he'd been hearing things. Frowning Zuko looked out the port side windows... only to come eye to eye with a green iguana parrot. 'What-?' It looked familiar...

The realization clicked just as an explosion rocked the deck. Zuko threw up a fire shield just as orange flames engulfed the room.

The sensation of flying came. It didn't make sense, everything hurt. It hurt like after the Agni Kai. Zuko gasped in a breath and immediately choked on smoke. 'What-?' A giant smack on the back cut off Zuko's panicked thoughts.

His flames snuffed out. Cold water soaked every inch of him. Zuko couldn't move, so stunned by the blow and utter confusion of events. His lungs burned, reminding Zuko to move.

Floundering Zuko followed bubbles to the surface. He broke the water with a huge gasp that turned into a bout of coughing. He arched his neck back as far as he could, forcing every ounce of energy into treading and breathing. Slowly the ache faded in his chest, though his back stung like crazy.

When Zuko regained enough of his breath, he looked around. Farther away than made sense to Zuko's muddled brain, fire glowed harshly against the dark water. It had to be the Wani- that much Zuko could figure. But how had he ended up so far out into the bay, and who set his ship on fire?

Well, he wouldn't get answers out here. Zuko shoved away the thought that he'd be very close to never being able to answer a question again. Gingerly Zuko began swimming toward the shore.

Pain ran through every fiber of his being. His back and shoulder smarted from the fall, while his entire front felt like it'd been flame broiled. Zuko forced his arm to continue moving. He didn't have time for the luxury of pain. Not if he wanted to survive.

Stroke after stroke passed but the shore remained tauntingly far away. How had the blast thrown him so far? Zuko didn't know if he should be thankful he'd been blown into the water rather than onto land.

At least this way the people who'd tried to kill him probably didn't know he survived. Hopefully. Though, given Zuko's luck, they might be waiting on shore to finish the job. Zuko paused and treaded water for a moment. Could he risk returning to shore? A fierce ache attacked his torso and Zuko grimaced. If he didn't return, staying out here would definitely finish him off.

Taking a deep breath, Zuko resumed his swim. Soon, too soon, his shoulders burned with the effort. Zuko ignored it, drawing upon his surplus of stubbornness that had kept him alive so many times over the years. He forced his thoughts to remain on how the beach was getting closer and no it was not a figment of his imagination.

Zuko's concept of time withered away and died some hundred strokes ago. He somewhat idly considered counting his strokes, if for no other reason than to center his mind. However, given how much effort was required to keep swimming, Zuko abandoned the idea.

If Zuko jumped in surprise when his foot bumped the sea floor, well no one waited on shore to notice. Shaking he let himself fall perpendicular in water, his toes grazing the sand. Now he had only to force one foot in front of the other. The shore waited only a few yards away.

Stumbling out of the waves Zuko all but collapsed on the beach. He rolled on his back and lay gasping for air. 'I need to- need to move-' Zuko's worn body didn't respond to the order.

Through half-lidded eyes Zuko saw a shadow lean over him. A spike of adrenaline came and went in a flash. Zuko let his eyes drift completely shut. Maybe it was cowardly not wanting to face his murderer, but Zuko only wanted to sleep. Something tightened around his wrist, but that was the last sensation before the blackness swallowed him.

Pressure around Zuko's forehead was the first thing he noticed. Then the all encompassing warmth around him. Forcing his eyes open took a herculean amount of energy, but Zuko managed.

A blurry face appeared inches from his own. Zuko's breath hitched and he tried to squirm away because It couldn't be happening again-

"Prince Zuko." Uncle's incredibly relieved voice halted Zuko's panic. "There you are."

Uncle let out a long breath, and were those?- no, Zuko's blurry eyesight was probably just making it look like there were tears in his uncle's eyes.

"Wha-?" Zuko broke off into a coughing fit.

A steaming cup that smelled like herbal tea appeared in front of Zuko. He let Uncle help him drink, for once too tired to care about pride.

"I was hoping you could tell me Nephew. On my walk the ground trembled. I looked back to see the ship in flames. I assumed-" Uncle's voice cracked. He took a breath and continued, "but I found you laying on the beach, soaked to your skin."

"Pirates.... The ones from before. Saw their stupid iguana parrot... It probably- probably saved my life. Threw up a fire shield... force threw me halfway across the bay."

"Hmm." Uncle frowned. "We're several hundred miles from where they first attacked us. How would they know-" He broke off and a hard look of rage came over his face.

Zuko flinched. A look like that didn't belong on Uncle's face... and it looked too close to what Fath- The Fire Lord's face looked like when Zuko had last seen him.

Uncle must have noticed Zuko's discomfort because he quickly softened his expression. "I find it most curious that we weren't attacked until after Zhao conscripted the entire crew."

"You think- you think he-?" Zuko couldn't get out the full question. His head spun. Sure he hated Zhao, but he hadn't thought the Admiral would go that far. Though his blatant suspicion of who the Blue Spirit was probably didn't help matters...

Uncle sat quietly for a minute. "Zhao is still docked nearby. I believe in light of what's transpired it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to pay him a visit."

"But what...?" Zuko trailed off, thoughts still too muddled for whatever Uncle was trying to say.

"Zhao offered me a place as his general," Uncle's eyes hardened. "Given his tactics and disregard for honor, it might be good to keep a close eye on him."

Zuko found himself nodding. "And if another soldier appeared on board... Zhao's not the type of leader to know all his subordinates."

"Exactly."

Slowly Zuko pushed himself to a sitting position. His head spun but Zuko ignored it. "We don't have much time. Let's see what that viper-weasel is planning."